Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Sacrilegious?

Alright, I have a set of Ruby Strata Ludwig Standards which came from the factory with Classic lugs. Tom holders & floor tom legs brackets are all that are Standard.

Here's what I want to do. Without drilling any new holes, I want to put black nickel hardware on them, leaving the rods in chrome. I am also adding a 6", 8", & 10" double headed toms by saving the wrap off of a couple of bass drums.

The hoops are no problem. If I can't find a tom bracket that fits, I'll use Rims or Dss mounts, so no problem there. I'm going with black die cast claws and chrome rods.

My problems are these and I have a solution to one of them. First, a strainer/butt for the snare. Drum Foundry finally have one that will fit the 2.5" spacing for the strainer, but what about the strainer on a black magic? it doesn't look to be a p85 tho, even if it is black. And the butt plate doesn't look like a p32 either. Any one have or seen one to confirm?

Second and probably bigger is the bass drum spurs. I really don't like the disappearing spurs, they just don't feel sturdy enough. So, what to do? I have thought about trying a pair of Pearl optimounts to span between the lugs. How sturdy are those? I can re-drill to fit whatever spurs I want to use. I could even have something similar made or make it myself. Just wondering if anyone else has any ideas?

And before you purists freak out, the whole emphasis is on not drilling any new holes so if I ever wanted to go back to the original stuff, I can....

Any thoughts? Thanks.....

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Good plan really - for the bass spurs just get a bass drum anchor (ala Ringo) for front hoop - one of those combined wth the existng spurs should add stabilityHelp2 No answer on the strainer - other than if the shoe fits wear it - as long as you can find something to fit the holes which is black you are good [/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Precision Drum sells spurs that clamp onto the reso bass drum hoop. They're likely not much more stable than the disappearing spurs, but you might use them in combination with the originals. Just be careful that the clamp-on spurs don't leave dents in your bass drum hoop.

Jay's idea is also good, and has the advantages of being (a) cheaper and (b) better-looking.

Post photos when the kit is ready!

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 14 years ago

This project is already a couple of years in the making and I'm sure will be a long slow process. If I go with the disappearing with an anchor, They'd all have to be black to fit...

Maybe I'll just put them on a rack and hang the kicks so I don't have to worry about the spurs... Hmmmm

Oh yeah, double kick....... did I forget to mention that?

Posted on 14 years ago

From latzanimal

This project is already a couple of years in the making and I'm sure will be a long slow process. If I go with the disappearing with an anchor, They'd all have to be black to fit... Maybe I'll just put them on a rack and hang the kicks so I don't have to worry about the spurs... HmmmmOh yeah, double kick....... did I forget to mention that?

You could powder-coat the disappearing spur legs and anchor to make them black, or perhaps try black engine paint. To avoid painting the original spur legs, you could buy a metal dowel, cut it to size, and use it for the legs.

Kits:
Posted on 14 years ago

I take it since I am not drilling any new holes in any of these, nobody thinks I am ruining the value? Any purists have any thoughts?

Posted on 14 years ago

From latzanimal

I take it since I am not drilling any new holes in any of these, nobody thinks I am ruining the value? Any purists have any thoughts?

I'll confess that one thought that crossed my mind was, "if you don't want a vintage-looking kit, why have a vintage kit?" It seems a shame to have all that old-school vibe go to waste, especially with a kit as seemingly rare as yours. (Ruby Strata with factory Classic lugs? Amazing!) But really, that's just my taste. I love the look of vintage drums. It's a totally personal thing, and the only important thing is that you love the way your kit looks and sounds. If you get a little thrill every time you see it, then it's a great kit for you.

As for value: as long as you're not doing anything irreversible, and assuming you carefully store all the original parts, I don't see how your project could affect the resale value of the kit.

Enjoy the project, and post photos when you can!

Kits:
Posted on 14 years ago

On second thought, I suppose there's one way this project could affect the value of the kit: if your new lugs have a larger footprint than the original lugs, there's a risk that the wrap will fade around the new lugs and show the new lug footprint when you put the original lugs back on. Something to consider.

Kits:
Posted on 14 years ago

From section2

I'll confess that one thought that crossed my mind was, "if you don't want a vintage-looking kit, why have a vintage kit?" It seems a shame to have all that old-school vibe go to waste, especially with a kit as seemingly rare as yours. (Ruby Strata with factory Classic lugs? Amazing!) But really, that's just my taste. I love the look of vintage drums. It's a totally personal thing, and the only important thing is that you love the way your kit looks and sounds. If you get a little thrill every time you see it, then it's a great kit for you.As for value: as long as you're not doing anything irreversible, and assuming you carefully store all the original parts, I don't see how your project could affect the resale value of the kit.Enjoy the project, and post photos when you can!

Well, couple of answers here. First, it wasn't so much as having a vintage kit as it was the finish. Something about the Ruby Strata that just trips my trigger. I'd would have built a new kit with the finish if it was still available. Although, if it was, I suspect it wouldn't be so much to me as everyone would have one. I did check into having the wrap remade. At almost $24,000, I thought it was best to just pass on the idea. I even found a few shops who wanted and would prepay to have 5 or 10 sheets, but I was still significantly short of the required minimum order. (400 sheets @ $59 ea.)

As I posted in with my Tempro's, it was the finish. After some searching, I found the Ludwig Standards. Then I found out they were the same shells as those great Ludwig sounding ones, at a much cheaper price. I already had a kit when I found these with the classic lugs. Bonus!! A classic Ludwig kit in a rare finish! So, that is how I came to these, but I still wanted the black nickel hardware. So I hate to ruin the shells I have, which is why I don't want to re-drill anything. Making, inventing or using other hardware, pieces, etc to achieve all of this is my only way.

The more I've thought about this (as I've had the drums for 3 years now) the more the vintage part appeals to me. And I still think the drums would be set off with the black nickel with chrome highlighted hardware. I guess my original question was to see if I am truly crazy or just another crazy drummer who collects them....

Thanks sec 2 for all your input..

Alright, I've bored everyone enough now..

Posted on 14 years ago

From latzanimal

Alright, I've bored everyone enough now..

Bored? Never! :)

I see your point about wanting the ruby strata finish. It's really a gem, and it's a shame they don't make it anymore. And as much as I love the straight-up vintage look, I've got to admit that that finish is going to look killer with black hardware. Can't wait to see it!

Kits:
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here