Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Rusty, chrome chipping on older hardware - What to do.

Hi All.

I have a few older Ludwigs I am attempting to restore. A couple of them have been stored in locations that were not ideal in the past, and things like the bass drum claws have got chipped chrome (flaking off) and the area has rusted.

What do people recommend to remove the rust (I have used a light sand paper to remove the flake) on these items, and is it worthwhile re-chroming them?

I think that is expensive (not checked). Is there another alternative?

I did buy some new claws to replace really bad ones, but now have such a collection of 'bad' ones I may as well use them if I can.

Cheers

Unabashed Luddyhugger
Posted on 10 years ago

once you get the flaking off, i'd soak them overnight in a mixture of liquid dawn and some water. it will remove most of the rust if not all. while they are soaking, you may also scrub them a bit with a bristle brush. an old toothbrush would work. a brass bristle brush would also work. usually when the bad corrosive rust is removed, it will remove all the plating and just give you the metal finish, which looks better than the rust. just polish it up afterwards to keep it from rusting back. since they are in bad shape, a soap brillo bad will help. worst case scenario, naval jelly will remove the rust. its some strong stuff though. use carefully.

mike

Posted on 10 years ago

Flaking? That's not good. It is separating from the metal as you know. Re-chroming would be the best answer.

For surface rust, nothing beats a 24 hour soaking in blue Dawn. A soft bristled toothbrush as you take the parts out and you'll be surprised how well it works. .

Drum Kits
1965 Ludwig Clubdate Oyster Blue
1966 Ludwig Clubdate Oyster Black
1969 Ludwig BB Blue Oyster Keystone Clubdate
1971 Ludwig BB Black Oyster
Early 60's Camco Oaklawns Champagne Sparkle
Posted on 10 years ago

Hi.

Thanks for the reply. I am guessing that Dawn is dishwashing liquid?

Cheers

Unabashed Luddyhugger
Posted on 10 years ago

yes!

mike

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here