Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 110.82255%

Rust dilemma

Hi

I’m cleaning up some very rusty old medal hardware. Can someone suggest anything I might do to so slow the rust from happening again ? Is there a product that you can wipe them down with or spray them with ?

I appreciate any help, thanks

Posted on 1 year ago

Can you post pictures? Sometimes rust looks a lot worse than it really is and will clean off nicely. I have had good luck with Evaporust for removing rust without damaging the plating on mounting screws and it will probably work well for chrome plated parts. Many people swear by a overnight soak in a Dawn and water solution.

As long as the chrome isn't actually compromised you can wax the chrome occasionally to provide some protection.

Posted on 1 year ago

For minor surface rust on chrome plate from perspiration, dirt and humidity, I've found that "Bar Keepers Friend" soft cleanser does a great job. I put the pieces of the cymbal stand (or whatever) in the tub by the washing machine, and use a kitchen sponge (the ones with the very minor abrasive surface for cleaning pots and pans). Rub and dub-dub. Rinse with water and dry with a towel, and be very pleased with the outcome! Of course, this technique won't work for deep rust.

Regards, mb

Posted on 1 year ago

Thanks for the advice, I’ll give Bar Keepers Friend a go, fingers crossed it does the trick

Posted on 1 year ago

EVAPORUST. Harbor freight... soak 2 to 4 hours and voila' shiny chrome.. ( unless the rust went trough the chrome layer then nothing will help beside a rechome.

Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here