Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Rust Be Gone

Anyone ever used this, and did it work?

I have this cool 40's WFL Zephyr Lug 3 ply shell that I am going to re-wrap in Antique WMP. Problem is that the hardware is pretty rusty and I need to attack this issue with a vengeance if it is going to look good at all. I am thinking it is going to need to be soaked in some sort of rust remover.

This Rust Be Gone stuff is supposed to be pretty non-toxic and work great. Anyone have experience with it? If so, and it sucks, what is a good brand to use for something like this?

I will probably do a 24 hour soak of all of the lugs, rods, strainer, butt, and hoops.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

I'd test one similarly rusted lug from spare parts rather than risking one of your WFL Zephyr lugs.

You might also try the Dawn soak and polish the funk away, instead. Skotch Brite makes non-scratch pads that also work well, but I like to use Dawn and warm water to lube the surface. It still bites the rust, but leaves the chrome intact.

Years ago, I used Naval Jelly to remove rust from drum hardware, but had to be sure to rinse shortly after applying the caustic stuff. In some cases, the rust disappeared leaving a black ferrous finish in the spots where rust was removed. I used Lubriplate to slow the return of rust which will wait until you're not looking to reappear.

Posted on 14 years ago

I also have a wfl zephyr lugged bass drum that had some fairly bad looking lugs on it. spotted rust and the like,1st do as stallwart suggested use dawn and warm water soak the parts first rinse them then ,, I use with very good results Groove Juice cymbal and hardware cleaner, it will do the job!!! I use a deep plastic dish and a tooth brush, wear rubber gloves and while your parts are soaking in the solution, I will rub the parts with the tooth brush to further the cleaning process, don't use scotch brite pads on the zephyr lugs it will scratch it, use steel wool after it has been chemically cleaned!! i have used this for almost all my restorations be careful when using this stuff, in other words watch the parts while cleaning them!!!Party

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

I just ordered a gallon of Safest Rust Remover (www.safestrustremover.com) to tackle my 30's Leedy Reliance hardware. There are tons of pictures on the site and youtube video's of this stuff really bring some things to life. I have some extremely rust covered hardware and will try it in a couple of days.

I called them up and talked to them before ordering, and will stand over top of this to make sure it is not doing any damage.

Posted on 14 years ago

Adam some before and after pics with Groove juice!! the lug pic the lugs took less than a minute to clean it to this result, it was not rust just 40 years of crud, buy some you'll like it!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Wow! That looks really great Vintagemoore! You win so far!

Anyone else have any experience with other methods to remove serious rust?

Thanks!

Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

Adam, he said it was not rust, but 40 years of crud..........

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

From kevins

Adam, he said it was not rust, but 40 years of crud..........

Yeah the lugs didn't have any rust on them just 40 years of crud, but the tension rods did have rust on them it took around 15-20 minutes to get it off, while the tension rods are sitting in the plastic bowl with the groove juice, i took an old toothbrush and wear rubber gloves, and scrubbed the tension rods, done and done!!!

Posted on 14 years ago

Yep, that Groove Juice is powerful stuff....

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Alright.....I am confused.

I thought he said "not JUST rust, but 40 years of crud".

Anyone have any experience using this rust removal liquid? I realize the groove juice might work if I put a little elbow grease into it...and I am willing to do that...but I would rather see about a rust removal device that has a coating effect to prevent further rust. These lugs and rods arent horrible, but if I could just dip em and rinse then polish I would be stoked.

This rust be gone stuff seems good.

http://www.ipax.com/products.php?ProductID=16

What do you guys think?

Adam

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here