Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Royal Star kit FINALLY done...

Okee Dokee...

Here is the pix of the Royal Star kit I just finished. Standard late sixties MIJ job. 20, 13, 16 and 14 X 5 snare. Six ply drums (think). The snare is the interesting bit. I hadn't noticed until I got ready to dismantle it. It's a ten lug, very nice sounding COS snare. Sounds kinda like a Supra with a tad more ring. Healthy crack when you whack it.

Anyway, thanks to all that helped with info!

fishwaltz
Posted on 14 years ago

I like it!!

The Band

Posted on 14 years ago

Me too- definitely beautifulYes Sir

I just ordered a lovely green satin swirl wrap last night for my 60s Star kit to re-do. Your lovely kit is encouraging me!

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 14 years ago

Walking Craig, those are simply fantastic looking drums! The wrap is amazing. Now, if you really want that snare to sound fantastic, put a Fyberskin on it. That is a 10 lug version of mine, the three line Sound King copy. This is a fine snare, and really has a huge range. You will be the one to validate my opinon of this drum. Others will listen to you as you are a Ludwig collector. This snare will load up from just tight to high strung and make some sweet sounds in the process.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Congrats to an extremely nice drumset! The wrap reminds me to my Premier's kit in 'Grey Shimmer' which I will post here in short (when it's finished).

I'm also keen on the opinion of a Ludwig-friend regarding the sound of that snare drum ...

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 14 years ago

Great job on the kit!Bowing

I agree with Ralf that the wrap strongly resembles Premier's Grey Shimmer.

I also used to have a kit in that finish.

I also love the "uneven" bullet lugs. Great look IMHO!

THANKS for sharing the pics!

ENJOY your kit!

Posted on 14 years ago

Man, that set looks awesome! Did you decided to go with Emperors?

I'm kind of in love with the Microsensitive type adjustable snare butt on those snare drums. I want to get a chance to get hold of one to see how well they work. (But dont break up this set! The snare has the matching teardrop lugs to the rest of the drums. This will be one of the more valuable complete MIJ sets if and when you decide to re-sell.)

All in all, a superb restoration of a great set! Thanks for sharing!

Posted on 14 years ago

This kit is really nice, I LOVE the colour.

The only thing I dislike, is that the cymbal comes out of the bass, I don't like that. But, I bet they sound AWESOME!

Congratulations on getting them done. (:

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for all the words of praise. This thing really was fun to do. And gobs of thanks to mikey777 for the needed parts!

Thanks Mike

First off, I just don't need this kit. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pass it along. But before I do I am going to do a page on the snare. jonnistix was on the mark. That snare is crazy with range. Even with Remo Weather Kings. WOW! Now, it isn't a Supra or even near a Black Beauty, but it will hold it's own with the Rogers Super Ten of mine any day, anytime (except for the ring). I was amazed. It is a little more ringy than I'm used to, but still. I was impressed. I'm going to do a photo shoot with the snare and post some pix here and on my page soon.

Thanks for all the wonderful encouragement!

fishwaltz
Posted on 14 years ago

From cn679

Man, that set looks awesome! Did you decided to go with Emperors?I'm kind of in love with the Microsensitive type adjustable snare butt on those snare drums. I want to get a chance to get hold of one to see how well they work. (But dont break up this set! The snare has the matching teardrop lugs to the rest of the drums. This will be one of the more valuable complete MIJ sets if and when you decide to re-sell.)All in all, a superb restoration of a great set! Thanks for sharing!

Hi and thanks for the suggestion. well, yes and no on the Emperors. I had a set sitting here, new in the boxes, but I ended up with an Evans G1 on the rack and a NOS Aquairian 2 ply on the floor tom. Both toms have clear 2 plys for the reso's. They just sounded better, and I played with a number of combo's to get that. The bass has some generic uncoated single plys on front ad back. The bass has sweet spots from here to Mars. The toms have plenty as well, but not quite as many.

Yeah, that snare was indeed a huge surprise. And no... I'd never break up the set. No worries there at all.

fishwaltz
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here