Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Round Badge Mounting Screws Question

I'm installing mufflers on my Gretsch '60s round badge toms. I need to purchase some mounting screws for them. Are they the same type and size as those used on the round badge bass drum pratt muffler? Looks like they are but I thought I'd double check.Thanks, Paul

Posted on 11 years ago

The style that are with the adjustment knob? Yes. The style at the bottom of the drum? No.

Posted on 11 years ago

Rik - Yes, of course the style at the knob. Thanks so much, that's what I needed to know.

Posted on 11 years ago

In the '60s, they were 2 different types of screws:

The tom mufflers had round top flat head screws, which sat on top of the wrap.

Pratt muffler screws (both under the knob and on the bottom of the drum) were flat topped Phillips heads and countersunk to be level with the wrap.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 11 years ago

Mlvibes - The pratt mounting screws are exactly as you described them. Would the tom muffler mounting screw be the same size screw only with a round head? Thanks, this is both helpful and educational. - Paul

Posted on 11 years ago

Paul, the round top screw for tom mufflers is a little bit longer, with a thinner screw section and higher thread count. About 11/16" long, as opposed to the Pratt screws which are about 5/8" long and are a tiny bit thicker with a lower thread count.

However, both fit the same size of rectangular nut that Gretsch used, called a "flat speed nut".

-Bill

1 attachments
http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 11 years ago

Bill - Incredible info!! Thanks again for taking the time to share your knowledge. - Paul

Posted on 11 years ago

Many 50's Pratt muffler knobs had the round top screw holding the bracket to the shell, like the toms, and were not countersunk, but unlike the toms, I think (could be wrong) they had a washer on top of the shell. The bottom three screws holding the felt were the countersunk type described by MLV. He has the screws types correct with length and count.

Posted on 11 years ago

Rik - Thanks, that's good to know. - Paul

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here