Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Romeo Orsi Brass snare drums

Hi,

just found in our bands basement some old brass snare drums. One has the "Orsi" logo engraved. Other one looks similar (different tension rod) so its probably from the same company.

Has someone ever heard from "Orsi".

They aren't making drums any more according to their homepage. How old could they be? Do they have any value?

They are both 13" by 4,5".

Idea is to keep them and try my luck restoring them. Maybe use one as a marching snare.

Orsi Website

Posted on 8 years ago

Nice find! Romeo Orsi Mucsc Company was founded in Italy in 1836 and manufactured primarily brass instruments. I did some very fast researching. They sure look cool although I have no idea how they'd sound. Are all the t-rods there? I couldn't make out a lot with these bad eyes. Very interesting though! Thought of selling one?

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 8 years ago

Hi Brian, yes definitely cool looking.

I was just bending body and rims so they are round, will put on a head next week and tell you how it sounds.

The brass is easily bendable, especially the rims. I always thought they had to be more stable?!

On one snare two tension rods were missing and on the other one two tension rods are broken (the wing broke off). Do you have an idea where I could get those?

Not quite sure about selling one, first I need to talk to our boss. What would you say are those worth?

Kilian

Posted on 8 years ago

Hi, Kilian,

Yep, rims should be stable for sure. I really don't think this company manufactured too many drums. They were more interested in brass horns. As for the t-rods, I wonder if some other European drum t-rods would fit. There are others on the Forum FAR more knowledgeable than I about European drums. Hopefully, they will chime in. As for price, I don't have a clue. I'd never even heard of these drums until you posted. I would definitely like to hear what you think of their sound though. Please let me know. Thanks!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here