Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Rogers wrap - blue strata pearl

Got curious today regarding the availability of matching Rogers blue strata pearl as offered in the Rogers 67-68 catalog. Checked Precision, Blaemire, Jammin' Sam, and Walopus but didn't see any unless I missed it.

Am I missing any other suppliers? There was another which I believe is in New England, but I don't remember their name.

Dan B - would you know?

Thanks.

Posted on 3 years ago

Hi Dudley!

I'm not aware of anyone offering Blue Strata Pearl. Also, while it may resemble the Oyster Blue wrap offered by Ludwig in the 60's, the version used by Rogers had a different appearance to it. The same holds true for Rogers Black and Pink Strata finishes. Attached are pictures showing Rogers Strata Blue vs Ludwig's Oyster Blue.

I believe the other seller you might be referring to is Bum Wrap Drum Co. Here's a link... https://www.bumwrapdrumco.com/

-Mark

5 attachments
Posted on 3 years ago

From Dudley

Got curious today regarding the availability of matching Rogers blue strata pearl as offered in the Rogers 67-68 catalog. Checked Precision, Blaemire, Jammin' Sam, and Walopus but didn't see any unless I missed it. Am I missing any other suppliers? There was another which I believe is in New England, but I don't remember their name.Dan B - would you know?Thanks.

As Mark said in his reply, I don't believe anyone has reproduced the blue strata. The only supplier I've used is Precision.

I do note that the strata used in the 60's was a differing pattern than what was used by Ludwig, as Mark also mentioned, though I believe Rogers began using something very, very close to oyster black after Ludwig moved to the bowling ball wrap (early 70's). I'm not sure if it is still available, but Nelson Drum Co. had a 20, 12, 12, 14 set for sale recently with black strata wrap. If you look very carefully, the strata on the bass and floor tom have a slightly different pattern than the two small toms. It was not one of the most consistent wraps Rogers applied. See also my achieves of blue and other strata finishes in the attached photos. These kits all had very consistent wrap patterns, but the black and pink strata were somewhat impacted by very fine longetudinal cracks.

Good luck on the search.

Posted on 3 years ago
Action Another action Something else here