Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Rogers WMP "Jazz" outfit

Sick of looking at Rogers WMP drums yet??!! Hope not... 'cause I have more! :-) Thought you might enjoy having a look at these:

This is my "smallest" Rogers set, and it is comprised of the following sizes:

14X18 bass drum

8X10 rack tom

14X14 floor tom

5X14 Dynasonic snare drum

I generally play this set when I do jazz trios/quartets, although in this particular case, the gig this past weekend was with a 6 piece band w/male and female front. The "little" Rogers absolutely sparkled in the sound department. These drums sound remarkably contemporary given their vintage make-up. The "little" 14X18 bass drum is a mini cannon, yet retains enough "vintage vibe" to play straight ahead/standards, and sound completely proper in doing so! All hardware/mounts are machined Swivo-Matic. The ride cymbal "L" arm is a Rogers #258 fixed height 15" w/Swivo-Matic Tilter... on this small 18" bass drum, it's the perfect height. I ALWAYS get comments/asked about these drums, especially from the sound companies that handle sound reinforcement at these different venues. They're always amazed that such "little" drums have such a big sound... but of course! ... they're Rogers! :-)

Tommyp

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Gotcha looking!!! Tommy, as always a beautiful kit on this post. Just a long day of crap at work, and figured I'd steal a post from you after sippiing on a few glasses of Jack Daniels. Love your kits and I never (well, almost never ;)) get tired of you posting your kits.

As always, best to you

Backbeatkeeper

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 15 years ago

backbeatkeeper!...

OMG!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, you most certainly did get me! I saw the title of your post and said UH OH... maybe I've put up too many WMP Rogers pictures. Whew. :-) You know,

I almost always have my little digital camera in my gig bag, and if the venue I'm working at has a nice lay-out, and/or I can attempt to grab some pics of my drums in the "gig zone", I do! Because of the way this particular stage was situated, I could only get right side or 3/4 right side shots... not my favorite angle for taking pictures of drums actually. Also, I usually take pics after sound check, thus the stage/room light is low, which results in a bit of "flash blast". In a lot of cases, due to angle, you lose the bass drum logo as well, such as in this shot. I do have a couple from "almost" the full front, and I'll check them after I get them sized. I think I may change them out here and there... to prevent VDF boredom! LOL!!

Tommyp

Posted on 15 years ago

From Tommyp

Sick of looking at Rogers WMP drums yet??!! Hope not... 'cause I have more! :-) Thought you might enjoy having a look at these:This is my "smallest" Rogers set, and it is comprised of the following sizes:14X18 bass drum8X10 rack tom14X14 floor tom5X14 Dynasonic snare drumI generally play this set when I do jazz trios/quartets, although in this particular case, the gig this past weekend was with a 6 piece band w/male and female front. The "little" Rogers absolutely sparkled in the sound department. These drums sound remarkably contemporary given their vintage make-up. The "little" 14X18 bass drum is a mini cannon, yet retains enough "vintage vibe" to play straight ahead/standards, and sound completely proper in doing so! All hardware/mounts are machined Swivo-Matic. The ride cymbal "L" arm is a Rogers #258 fixed height 15" w/Swivo-Matic Tilter... on this small 18" bass drum, it's the perfect height. I ALWAYS get comments/asked about these drums, especially from the sound companies that handle sound reinforcement at these different venues. They're always amazed that such "little" drums have such a big sound... but of course! ... they're Rogers! :-)Tommyp

That's so sweet it's syrupy!! Cool sizes too, especially with the 10in rack tom. Very nice!!

[COLOR=#FFFFFF].

[/COLOR]

Most respect the badge, but all fear the drum.

Things to share
Thanks are implied
You are always welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperSpace
Posted on 15 years ago

I never get tired of WMP especially Rogers.......Buddys (and Tommy P's) signature...........

Posted on 15 years ago

Vipercussionist and JohnG!...

Thanks for the visit and the nice words! "So sweet it's syrupy"... that was a nice quote! For smaller sizes, this set really covers all the bases amazingly well, and they do sound a bit more contemporary than my bigger Rogers Buddy Rich Celebrity model. These drums are a bit quicker in their response as there is a lot less air to move. Really perfect for Jazz, yet able to cross the line too!

JohnG!... Thanks for the very nice comment! There is little doubt that I am a big BR fan... especially his Rogers endorsement period from 1960 to 1966. It's no secret that it was Buddy that got me started down the WMP path, and as far back as 1967 when I asked my father to buy me Buddy's "Swingin' New Big Band" album with his gorgeous Rogers WMP Celebrity set right on the front cover, and in full glorious color. There I was, ruined for life at the tender age of 12... and so it continues! :-) Nice to hear from you!

Tommyp

Posted on 15 years ago

How did you make the 10"?

Posted on 15 years ago

I didn't... it's a 1982 Rogers XP8. The drum was... sadly ... an abused orphan... a little TLC, and it now has a home! By the way... GOOD EYE! ... I was wondering WHO would notice!

Posted on 15 years ago

Absolutely Lovely.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 15 years ago

Ploughman!...

THANKS for the nice comment! Your appreciation, knowledge, and overall fondness of Rogers drums/hardware is quite applaudable. Glad you liked 'em!

Tommyp

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here