Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Rogers Tower vs Holiday

Hi..

Im trying to decide between two kits..

I play in a blues/rock band

And I perfer medium tunings

The 2 kits are:

1) Rogers Cleveland Tower Grey Ripple

--14x20 Bass (w/ tom mount & cymbal arm)

--8x12 Rack Tom

--14x14 Floor Tom

--5x14 Luxor Snare

This kit is in mint condition and it cost $1200

2) Rogers Cleveland Holiday Blue Sparkle

--14x22 Bass

--9x13 rack tom

--16x16 floor tom

This kit is in almost museum condition and it cost $1050

Which should I go with and why

Thanks

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="Indigo"]The Tower is in a cooler finish and it includes a snare. Luxor snares weren't top-line, but they are good and by themselves they fetch about $150-175 in good condition.

Now...the BIG news is...the Tower has a 14" FT. Rogers made very FEW 14" FT's. Even on 20" bass drum rigs, they usually went w/ 16's. Like, of all the FT's Rogers made, maybe 10% of 'em were 14's.

Which is to say this: on eBay, all by itself....just that 14 FT...it would sell for between $500-800....easy. If you put a buy it now price of $600 on that FT on eBay...it wouldn't last 2 days...guaranteed.

So...it has a snare worth $175 and a FT worth $600....plus it's a Cleveland, so one of the oldest around.

If you like the look of the double-ended lug Tower set, go for that one. Can you make an offer ? Talk down a bit ? Maybe offer $1125 for that kit and see if seller bites. If not, $1200's not a bad price if it's really in excellent shape.

The other one sounds nice, but is more usual sizes, typical color, and has no snare. It's just a more common kit...they are around. It's overpriced, actually, by about $150 or so.

Pick Door #1.Guitar Dude Man[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

You should go with the one you prefer. If it were 'me', I would choose the classic 22,13,16 config. That's going to give you more possibilities in the tuning range. By adjusting the heads and the tensioning, you can go from tight and high to very deep and very low and fat. You just can't hit those with the smaller toms. Yes, you can get low...but not nearly as low as this config. They are also a better fit for the styles you listed. Blues/Rock to me screams deep fat toms. That's my opinion. Others will differ - of course. Some will bring up Charlie Watts. He plays a small Gretsch with a little Blues/Rock club act. I have an opinion on him and his kit choices that would go against the grain of many, so I will hold my tongue (it's all wet and yucky!). I have always been partial to the classic config. If you want to add a 12 inch tom later, it's there. If you go with the smaller config, you would not have the deep floor that I believe is necessary for Blues/Rock. Again, my opinion. That deep bass will serve you well, too. That will be a seriously nice deep chest punch. Great for laying down the pulse. How many moments in Blues are spent digging in to the floor while slappin' the snare? LOTS! That floor needs to have some dark depth to it. A 14 just can't get there. Yes, it can get close. But, no, it just won't be deep enough for my taste. Again....my two cents.

Posted on 15 years ago

By your same line of thought, though, mcjnic...you could also just add a 16" floor tom later and any such issues would be solved. There are tons of 16" Rogers floor toms floating around. And precisiondrum.com sells the exact matching Rogers wrap.

For that matter, there are also tons of 13" Rogers rack toms around....

Personally, 20" bass drums are really an excellent size. People think, for some odd reason, they are quiet (?) Just pick the right head. A well-tuned 20 can punch like a mutha' whenever it needs to.

I would be firmly in Jaye's camp. The Tower kit is downright RARE...because of the floor tom and because of the color. There really aren't many of those, intact, around.

On eBay, it would go for more than $1200. Significantly more.

Posted on 15 years ago

You're wrong and I'm right!!!

...or...

Maybe, just maybe...someone else has an opinion that is not quite in line with my own...and it might just be valid!

oh man

Is this the end of all civilization as we know it? Could this be the end of little Scruffy? The universe is DOOMED!!!

Sweet. Tomorrow promises to be rather interesting, now. Great stuff. I tend to agree with the whole 14 inch rare floor tom. However, I definitely prefer the deeper tones from the 13 and 16 toms. But then again...the 14 could be pretty neat, too.

Posted on 15 years ago

Get them both. The Tower is too cool to turn down but will pigeon hole your tone a little bit too much for every application. The Holiday won't look as awesome but will sound great anywhere, any time with any band.

Also, you will need a wood and COB Cleveland PowerTone.

Isaac

Posted on 15 years ago

I agree with the tower config. I mean you should factor in the fact you'll need a snare too. Like ninefingers said. If it has 2 mounts on top you could always add a 13 tom or 16 floor at a later date if you wanted to. Those will definatly be easier to find than that 14". Its also nice to buy a set that was made together so you dont need to worry about having to match the color up or worrying about fade or rewraping ect.. I looked up the same drum set and saw one at the drumfarm, he wants 2250 for his, so that one does look like the bargain. It would sell for alot more than 1200.

*** I BUY ROGERS DRUMS ***
Posted on 15 years ago

I guess the question is what do you plan on doing with the kit?

Either will serve for rock and blues, though a 20" doesn't rein in guitarists as effectively as a larger kick.

I would buy the one that you think would best suit your gig(s).

Patrick

Posted on 15 years ago

Tower. I play 20,12,14 in a blues band but we don't play Stevie Ray style. More B.B. and brother Ray.

Posted on 15 years ago

Both.

Isaac

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here