Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Rogers Tower basket case.. where to start??

This little baby has been threw the ringer... but I think there is potential.

I need to understand this hardware... does the collet function like a drill chuck? Righty tighty.. lefty loosey?

20, 14, 12.. all seams tight, wrap will clean up, Cleveland tags in all the drums.

Many parts missing... I dropped $200 on them.

Bass drum spurs appear to be complete but seized up tight.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

Yes it does work like a chuck, but chuck's usually off on sat night! (rim shot!) :D

I looks like it just needs serious cleaning and polishing. What other parts are missing?

Hit the spurs with WD40 a few times and gently tap the leg tips with a hammer.

If it's the collet type spur be very careful, soak well with WD40, it should loosen.

Posted on 15 years ago

What's missing??

Well the collets have been vise-gripped :( the "ears" are missing off them on the tom, and both the cymbal mount and tom mount on the bass drum.

One bass drum hoop is not original. Bottom hoop, bottom rods missing, legs missing on the floor tom. Tom mounting hardware, cymbal mounting hardware is gone, no pedals.

Dang I need to quit making this list.. I'm starting to feel like an idiot for buying these. :(

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey man, thats not that bad. A couple hundred more and you got yourself a cool little jazz kit in a classic color. (champagne?) I have some champagne wrap that I bought for one of my bass drum hoops which turned out to be the wrong color, interested?

Posted on 15 years ago

Dang I need to quit making this list.. I'm starting to feel like an idiot for buying these. :(

Not a chance there. Those are highly collectable sizes. I would give you $100 profit if you don't want to keep them and do the work.

If the wrap is uncracked and evenly faded, you are good to go. The parts that are missing / broken are not unusual. You have the bass drum tension rods. Those would be very hard to find. You can polish everything up and use some generic rims and tension rods until you find correct ones.

Easy does it on the collets as already mentioned. Maybe remove the plates and soak them in rust buster (WD40 should work) until you can get the collets off. They are on ebay and aftermarket collets are available. DO NOT USE THE CAST COLLETS. They will crack on you and the machined ones (even aftermarket) would look more correct anyway.

I have some bass legs if you need them. Bought for another project and the seller was "incorrect" about the lengths.

I think you will be very happy with the finished project.

Check out here for Rogers advice and parts. http://com2.runboard.com/brogersownersforum

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks AG... Once I get one cleaned up I'll get a better feel for how much work this is going to be.. I appreiciate the encouragement.. REALLY!

Collets.. Great idea to pull them off and soak them... don't know why that didn't occur to me.

Hey... any idea how to figure a year on these? I want to get the correct hat and BD pedal... what would have shipped with a Tower out of Cleveland?

Well yeah, I'll try that board... I guess I am now qualified as a Rogers owner:)

Posted on 15 years ago

The floor tom legs would be fairly easy to fabricate as originals are extremely rare. Straightlegs, round, of the proper diameter should be rather easy to fabricate from good chromed rod stock. Even stainless steel rod would work for this, always with an eye towards finding the original sta-tights.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 15 years ago

This morning I hit those frozen collets with a couple small shots of PB Blaster from a can I had laying around the garage...

I took them off with my fingers this evening.. UNREAL! I hadn't used that stuff in a long while.. IT WORKS!

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

There are spare parts on Ebay that would fit your kit and there are 2 or 3 people on the Net that machine replacement parts for the "Swivo" stuff. I'll dig up the links.

If you want to start doing serious cleaning, remove all the parts, soak them in WD 40 (overnight) and clean with #0000 steel wool and wash down the shells with mild cleaners and wax.

Posted on 15 years ago

Sounds like a plan.. :)

I've been scanning the bay and picked up a coupled new milled stainless collets to give a try. I see some older originals that look pretty rough.. but they are correct.

I'm wondering which tom mount to go after... did Rogers only make one height and reach on the single tom mount?? 90 degrees with the ball and socket, is that the correct single tom mount? I see Jim Petty sells that style to... (not cheap)

And... what about the cymbal extension..(this I can not find so far) the few pictures I have seen show that bass drum mount at kind of angle away from the tom.. what set up gives you that angle?

This will be fun and educational... I would still like to figure out what hardware, pedal and hi-hat would have shipped with this. The little Tower is not mentioned much in any pubs I can find..

Hey THANKS JR.. any links will be apprieciated and closely looked at. :)

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here