Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Rogers tilter

My tilter on my Rogers cymbal stand is loose. You can't pull it off but it swivels 360 degrees. Is it possible the roll pin is broke inside? If I can't line it up to knock it through is there other suggestions,like drilling it out?

If anyone's had this problem,let me know what you did before I knock myself out trying to remove it.

Thanks ,Ed

p.s. the pic is not of the loose one but it is the same style.

1 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

Sounds like roll pin sheared. Might tap lightly on the pin and gently turn the tilter until it feels lined up again. Then drive out the broken pin. Not gonna be easy to get it lined up though. Drilling out the roll pin will be near impossible since they are hardened steel.

You could drill a second hole on slightly different height of the old pin and put in a new pin.

Posted on 9 years ago

The ball and socket is comprised of three separate parts:

- the lower shell casting for the socket

- the actual ball /cymbal rod section, and

- the upper socket casting

*The upper socket fits over the ball / cym rod part, and then threads clockwise in a screwing motion down over the threaded lower shell casting.

*When threaded down together, the hole into which the roll pin is fitted aligns with the hole through the socket casting.

*Years of "wear and tear" have loosened your roll pin, allowing it to slightly back out far enough to free the top socket casting to spin.

Solution that's always worked for me:

1-First, completely remove the roll pin - likely your most difficult task. If necessary take it to a machine shop worker to do it for you. Don't try to do it without the proper tool or you'll strip out your castings.

2-Completely unscrew all the socket parts, degrease all the 3 parts listed above.

3-Screw the sockets together without the tilter part until you can look into the hole and see it align fully with the hole beneath it.

4-Rather than reuse a roll pin, I always used a tap to thread the hole all the way to the bottom with both shell parts aligned, using either a 8-32" or 10-32" tap (memory fails me here as to which I used, so do your homework before tapping & purchasing taps).

5-Then I purchased a small hex head driver set pin of the same thread gauge as the tap, and once all was reassembled countersunk it. Voila! All repaired, good and tight for another 100 years. You may elect to reinsert a roll pin rather than thread the sockets, but in my experience that always allowed too much "shimmy" to take place. Use your best judgement. All of the above a relatively easy repair. I wrote the instructions in detail for you for the sake of clarity, so reading it looks like a lot of work but it's really easy. Good Luck!

Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks Amos Guy and Buckie B! I'll give it a whirl.

Ed

Posted on 9 years ago

You might try using a flashlight on the back of the tilter to see when the pin is realigned with the hole. You could use a pin punch then to drive out the broken pieces.

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here