Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Rogers Tenor Drum to Floor Tom Conversion

Lately, I've been obsessed with trying a 15" floor tom. "Typical" kits are 22/13/16 or 20/12/14 and I have both. Just don't seem to get the response I want from a 14x14 floor tom. Since there's a 3" difference between the 13/16, why not do the same with the 12" and go 12/15?

With that in mind, I recently acquired a 70's Rogers 12x15 Tenor drum. Pictures attached! The shell and edges are in VG+ condition. It's going to be wrapped in Blue Glass Glitter, to be used with my 1966 Headliner.

-Mark

5 attachments
114.2 kB
138.5 kB
129.9 kB
106.9 kB
141.2 kB
Posted on 7 years ago

Here's the bare shell, wrap removed, extra holes plugged and drilled for 3 Fullerton-era cast leg brackets. Sending it off to Precision Drum for wrapping. I also have a set of 20" Rogers tom legs, which will get the tom to the proper height. Using an industrial heat gun, I was able to remove the wrap in one piece, with no damage to the shell! I used my Rogers 16x16 floor tom as a guide to properly position the leg brackets around the shell. Was even able to remove the original air vent grommet without damage and will be able to reuse it! Will post completed pictures in the near future!

-Mark

5 attachments
99.6 kB
105.3 kB
108.2 kB
107.4 kB
119.9 kB
Posted on 7 years ago

NICELY done thus far Mark! ... but would have expected nothing less from you!

Tommyp

Posted on 7 years ago

From Tommyp

NICELY done thus far Mark! ... but would have expected nothing less from you!Tommyp

Thank you!!

-Mark

Posted on 7 years ago

I did that years ago with a 15" Ludwig tenor tom. Luckily, it matched my other clubdate drums. All i had to do was to punch original Ludwig leg brackets in the shell. I was pleased with the sound that it produced. Though the drum was from a different era, i enjoyed playing that kit.

Keep up the good work and i look forward to see your finished kit.

1 attachments
Keep fixing them up...
Posted on 7 years ago

From drumfx

I did that years ago with a 15" Ludwig tenor tom. Luckily, it matched my other clubdate drums. All i had to do was to punch original Ludwig leg brackets in the shell. I was pleased with the sound that it produced. Though the drum was from a different era, i enjoyed playing that kit.Keep up the good work and i look forward to see your finished kit.

Hey drumfx!

Excellent job on the conversion! I've read many posts from members on multiple forums saying how pleased they are with 15" floor toms. Slingerland offered a 12x15 with their Stage Band 74N kit, starting with the 1963 catalog. From the 1965 catalog on, they changed to a 14x14, but always pictured the same kit with the 12x15.

-Mark

Posted on 7 years ago

Update 2-7-17

Just received a call from Andrea at PDC. My shell has been received for wrapping. Yea!! Andrea told me they are really backed up with work and it could be a week before they get to my shell. Told her "no problem", as I'm in no hurry. Can hardly wait to get it back and assembled!

-Mark

Posted on 7 years ago

I'm in the process of converting an old Ludwg 15x12 to a floor tom, really just removed the snare hardware and added legs so far, but it sounds great!

65-73 Ludwig orphans 22/16/15/13/12 (silver sparkle rewrap)
1967 Ludwig Supraphonic 5 x 14
1976 Ludwig Acrolite 5 x 14
1966 Ludwig Pioneer 5 x 14
66-'67-ish Slingerland orphan project 20/13 (original champagne sparkling pearl)
Mid-60's Slingerland Gene Krupa COB Sound King 5 x 14
Mid-50's Slingerland tenor-to-floor tom resto/conversion project
Early 50's Slingerland Marcher resto project
Pork Pie 6.5 x 14 Big Black
Zildjians
Posted on 7 years ago

From jfl317

I'm in the process of converting an old Ludwg 15x12 to a floor tom, really just removed the snare hardware and added legs so far, but it sounds great!

jfl317!

Keep up the good work!

-Mark

Posted on 7 years ago

Not raining, so just snapped some pictures outside! The wrap is not faded, that's just me and my camera tripod!

My floor tom conversion came out great! I had Precision Drum install the wrap in the proper direction and put the overlap seam in the middle of the lug, just where Rogers put it! PDC also limited the overlap to just 1", also the same as Rogers.

This conversion process was pricey...but worth it!

-Mark

4 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here