Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Rogers Swivomatic disassembly tip

Maybe everyone else knows this, but I jaut figured it out....

I've been working on a bunch of Swivomatics. Something that has been frustrating me - and from the condition of some used ones, frustrating a lot of people - is removing the heel hinge screw/bolts. These are ingeniously held in place with very small roll pins. Since these are held in place, the rotation occurs within a brass bushing.

The hassle is, these li'l tiny pins are a PITA to remove. Any punches I found were too small or too big.

The Goldilocks of the story is a small finishing nail, cut off and blunted at about a one inch length.

I held it in place with needle nose pliers, sprayed some lube, and tap tap tap. The li'l b*stards came out!

I can tell many people found this frustrating because of the amazing ways people have found to slice and dice the pedals.

This might help a very few people, but we live to serve!

Posted on 6 years ago

Good tip!

When I took my pedal apart for cleaning, I didn't even realize those pesky little roll pins were there at first. Glad I figured it out before I damaged anything.

Here are some pics to compliment your post:

[IMG]http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=1011[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=1008[/IMG]

Posted on 6 years ago

Good explanation and good follow-on pictures to illustrate. Thanks for that.

Posted on 6 years ago

bfulton & rstange1 you both are my men!!! Thank you so much.Clapping Happy2

Posted on 6 years ago

I just reassembled a one piece foot-board and the frame. I never thought I'd get it. A previous owner had gotten creative and re-drilled the pedal. So instead of the workable, original 1/4 inch threaded holes, there are now larger oblong holes. So the screws would wander and the holes in the screws wouldn't align wuith the holes in the pedal. Oy.

But I got lucky. And once I did, I put a finishing nail through the hole to 'hold my place.' Didn't have any roll pins, and didn't think, with the condition of the hole, that I'd ever get pins back in.

So I though, 'What the hell,' and used a punch to sink the nail head into the hole.

It worked. It won't come out unless I want it to, it's tight, the hinge is firm, and it looks right.

It seems unusual to find a long foot board pedal that hasn't been re-worked. Even so, there's always a way to get 'em back on the road!

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here