Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Rogers Swivo Collet Plate - weird!!

So... I recently purchased a BEAUTIFUL 60's single Swivo tom arm on eBay to complete my 1966 Headliner kit. Fantastic chrome, no rust and nothing bent, etc. Even came with 4 original set screws, of which I'll only need to use 2. I truly believe I should have my head examined for what I paid for this piece! At the same time, you get what you pay for and all other arms I've seen for sale pale in comparison!

Anyway, the arm came with 90-degree and 75-degree collet plates, both of which I don't need because they are nowhere as fine looking as the plates I already have. What's really weird is the way the 75-degree collet was machined. As you can see from the pictures showing the swivo hex shaft in place, the rod is offset in relation to the collet fingers! I've never seen this before and wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this. Looking down into the fingers, you can clearly see that the tool to make the hex hole bored grooves right into the fingers! Just wanted to share this with everyone!

Posted on 13 years ago

Yes, you should have your head examined for paying what you did, but we've all paid too much for drum stuff at one time.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 13 years ago

I have one here like that as well I am not sure just what has happened on it but i will tell you it does not hold like one that has the hex rod parallel with the collet or in the proper place it is weird for sure..

Posted on 13 years ago

When they made those they would have done the different machining steps on different Lathes.

They would start with a section of round bar stock.

They would chuck it in a lathe or lathes and turn the various outside diameters and dimensions.

They most likely had a different lathe for each outer machining function or they might do several on one lathe.

At the minimum the threads were probably done on a separate lathe since it would require a different setup.

After all of the outside dimensioning and threading was done it would go to another lathe to bore the inside hole. This was most likely done on a lathe but could have been done on a drill press with a special jig.

This page shows the process of boring a hole on a lathe.

http://www.technologystudent.com/equip1/mlathe4.htm

Then the hexagonal inside shape would have been broached on a press.

The last step would have been to cut the slots in the collet.

Most likely when the hole was bored into the part it was not drilled concentric to the center line of the part. It might have not been chucked in the lathe properly or in the jig if it was done on a drill press. Since the broach will follow the hole it would end up off center.

It shouldn't affect the operation of the part as long as it's not too far off.

Posted on 13 years ago

Hi Thin Shell!

I think you're right on all counts! I spoke about this with Jim Petty and he pretty much gave me the exact same scenario. I don't even need this collet plate, but it came with my recently purchased Swivo arm. I just thought it was odd the way it was made! I appreciate your explanation!

Posted on 13 years ago

I dont think this information being provided is correct and respectfully disagree.

... Actually this is from a different era and was made this way to accommodate the new swivomatic stuff {tom arm specifically w/ the longer 7 1/2" top hex rod}.. If you pull the hex rod out, you will see a set of grooves different from the ones on the outside or the bottom. Kinda like 2 sets of hex areas. These plates are from a very early B&B lugged bass drum and introduction to swivomatic and was made around 1958- 60 {usually Jasper shelled Rogers having the flatter 60 degree bearing edges and wider rerings}.

If you were to take a later date tom arm or plate and try it you would have problems with it fitting and would have to turn the tom to the next set of hex area in order for it to go on and visa versa. The mounting hole spacing is also different {vertical}. Having the holes closer to the inside of the collet as shown in the pic I provided.

That is why the plate holes you have been drilled and are round and not square. Someone wanted it for a later dated {bass or tom} and rather than drill holes in the drum, they drilled holes in the plate. These drums can be recognized by the assembly hardware that usually have the square headed nuts instead of hexed ones. I hope this helps.

**** I BUY ROGERS DRUMS *****
Posted on 13 years ago

Hey there! You're explanation makes perfect sense. Yes, my collet does have those extra grooves running down into them. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here