Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Rogers SuperTen Details Anyone??

Hello,

This is my first post or thread on this forum. I would like to first say hello. This looks like a great forum. Now I would like to ask a bunch of questions about one of the snare drums my sons and I own.

Below are images of a recently acquired Rogers ?SuperTen? model snare drum

? 6.5" X 14"

? ?Metal Shell? Chrome over (?brass?) not sure,

? Oval ?SuperTen? Badge, (image included below)

? Script Rogers LOGO badge, (image included below)

? 10 Lug

? Swiv-o-matic Perma-Tension elongated clockface strainer (maybe a piece missing?) (image included below)

? Chrome covered metal hoops (that do not appear to be brass but I don?t know).

? serial number 5453

[IMG]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/Dukermoonebay/100_3526.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/Dukermoonebay/100_3527.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/Dukermoonebay/100_3465.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/Dukermoonebay/100_3462.jpg[/IMG]

This is a great snare drum. It appears it may have been made between 1973 up to and may be partially through 1976 when the badge changed to the Big ?R? badge.

Can anyone tell me anymore about this drum?

Things like:

[LIST]

[*]shell material

[*]rim material

[*]when it was made

[*]and even who may have played a SuperTen...

[*]also does the SuperTen model show in any of the Rogers catalogs

[/LIST]

I would appreciate any and all details about the Rogers SuperTen and please let me thank all of you that help with details in advance.

We have a few more drums that we would like to know more about.

Have a great day!

Thank You,

Dave

Posted on 17 years ago

Tommyp, he's our man!

If he can't name it, no one can!

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago

handyman_!...

I have a soft spot for the Rogers SuperTen... it is an incredible snare drum... and a drum that doesn't get anywhere NEAR the attention that it deserves! Here's a brief overview: ( and THANKS backbeatkeeper for the very nice comment! ) So,

The Rogers SuperTen was Rogers answer to Ludwig's venerable and ubiquitous Supraphonic 400... ( without a doubt one of the most popular snare drums of all time! ) ... A SuperTen can function in a myriad of areas with regard to tuning/style/sensitivity. I have an early '73 5X14 SuperTen and have used it to play many different types of music... even jazz! The drum is able to cover it all... it's very powerful... or very sensitive, contingent on how you set it up with regard to tension/heads. The SuperTen is kind of like a Dynasonic without the snare frame... and without the brass shell either. So, to answer your questions:

The shell is COS... chrome over steel

The hoops are steel

My SuperTen is early 1973 with a serial number of #2885... so based on that, I would say that yours is late '73 or 1974. Production numbers are estimates on these. The oval badge is the best indicator for an early SuperTen. In 1976 the badge was changed to the Big R on the Superten. And, while I'm at it, yours being a 61/2X14 isn't all that common. Most SuperTen's that I have seen are the 5X14 size.

As far as "Who played a Rogers Superten?"... do you mean as in endorsed? I can't honestly say, but the Dynasonic was STILL Rogers top of the line snare drum in 1973, and probably up to '76 as well. The SuperTen was another option for the drummer that wanted a Rogers snare drum, but didn't want the "Dynasonic sound". As I mentioned prior, the Dynasonic and the Superten sound totally different with most of that being due to the difference in shell material: COB vs. COS ( chrome over brass vs. chrome over steel ) The steel shell of the SuperTen is almost "warmer" in sound then the brass bite of the Dynasonic, but a lot of that is personal perception as well.

Yes... the SuperTen showed up in the 1973 Rogers catalog, listed AFTER the Dynasonic and the Skinny Drum! I believe that all the kits shown in the 1973 catalog still had the Dynasonic listed as the snare drum of choice... I will have to check on that to be sure though.

Your strainer is all there EXCEPT for the clamping piece that clamps on the snare cord.... and the adjustment screw/knob looks weird because it's backed way out, and it is also missing the "stop nut" at the top of the threaded rod. Regardless, a very nice drum you have here! And looks to be in excellent condition too! It will be relatively easy to get this drum COMPLETE... and again, it's also a not so common 61/2x14. It's a beauty and well worth keeping... and playing!

I hope this information was of help to you!

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

Like I said before.....

Tommyp, he's our man!

With all Rogers drums, HE'S THE MAN!!

LoLoLoLo

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago

Yeah, and who else can use the word "ubiquitous" when talking about drums!!!

TommyP your answers are the best!

Thanks for taking the time to help us out.

David

Webmaster

Posted on 17 years ago

I agree... TommyP your answers are the best!

Thank you for so much this information. Cool I would agree that it is a great drum as I had not heard of this snare drum previously. My son put it on a snare stand and played and it sounded great without any tinkering so we bought it! Then at another shop we bought another Rogers snare drum we had not really seen before. My son is going to post a thread about it and maybe you know that snare drum also.

Do you have any recommendations of where to look for the "stop nut" and the clamping piece that clamps on the snare cord... to complete it? Is the snare strainer clamping piece and "stop nut" the same as the Dynasonic? Thanks again!

Posted on 17 years ago

TommyP. You are the MAN!!! Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Isaac

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks to all of you for your very nice comments! Now you have me blushing! :-)

The clamping piece... ( for lack of another term! ) ... is the SAME on the Powertone and Dynasonic snare drums with the "elongated" Swivo strainers.

The little nut threads all the way up the tension knob rod and stops at the top which keeps the tension knob from "bottoming out" if you will. This little nut is also the SAME on the strainers that are on the Powertone and Dynasonic snare drums.

I haven't really seen JUST these parts available, but I have seen COMPLETE Swivo strainers available with decent regularity on where else... eBay! Your SuperTen is so nice it would be well worth getting a "donor" strainer and making the drum complete!

Regarding your OTHER Rogers snare drum... ( the Maple Dynasonic! ) ... the Ploughman has checked in on that model as he is the guy for Rogers drums of that particular era. He knows a lot about the later Rogers with the XP8 shells as he does own a few! My area of Rogers tends to stay within say 1960 to 1976, with the Ohio produced drums being arguably some of the BEST and most sought after Rogers drums out there. ( and we must include the SuperTen as it is such a nice snare drum! ) The company was without a doubt at the TOP of their game during the Cleveland/Covington/Ohio era... although the later XP8 Rogers are very nice too!

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

Once again thank you so Tommyp. I agree with you and will pursue that course.

Dave

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here