Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Rogers Super Ten Snare Drum

This is my first post. I have a Rogers Super Ten 6.5 x 14 in Chrome. It has the 60's script badge and the oval super ten badge with a serial number of 2790. It has a Dyno-sonic strainer with no 'D' under the knob and beaver tail lugs. Can anyone advise of year of manufacture and possible value?

Posted on 18 years ago

A picture will help with the information.

TommyP will chime in on this one.

Thanks and it is for sure a 6.5 inch shell?

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Thnaks David, I am away on business for three days but I will post some pictures on my return. It is definiately a 6.5 shell. I bought it from a friend in 1976, the then drummer with Sassafras, Peter Stroud, he had just had his beloved Gretsch kit stolen and need cash to by another kit. He offered it to me for the price the shop offered him on a trade in. I paid ?30 ($55), for it.

I also have the very rare Slingerland copper wrap kit. A small jazz outfit comprising a 13", 16" toms and a 20" bass. The snare drum was thrown out in the trash minus its hardware a few years ago. I sold the snare fittings (still mint chrome), on ebay to an Italian guy last year. Sadly after some 20 odd years of living in my garage and gigging they are pitted and a few of the fittings (lugs) are re-taped, but they still have their original skins.

Regards, Gary

Posted on 18 years ago

1rotoboy/David...

The Rogers SuperTen was also available in the 61/2X14 size... that is correct. I have to say that one doesn't see all that many in that size though.

The script Rogers badge plus the oval SuperTen badge, and the relatively low serial number indicate a first model run configuration on this drum. Rogers changed to the Big "R" badge in 1976 on this model snare drum... so ...

I have a 1973 5X14 SuperTen, serial #2885, so I would think that your drum would also be a 1973 given the serial number of #2790. Our respective drums aren't that far off from each other in manufacture!

As far as value is concerned, the Rogers SuperTen never commanded the higher prices that the Dynasonics, Powertones, or even some Tower's have gotten in the past... thus, they can be picked up pretty cheaply,... usually. A real nice, near mint 5X14 SuperTen sells for approx. $200.00 to $300.00 at the high end. But like everything else, it all depends on who's looking for it and/or want's it, essentially what the market will bear type thing.

Pics would be excellent 1rotoboy. I want to add that the Rogers SuperTen is highly underrated. This snare drum drum sounds incredible. The SuperTen was Rogers answer to the venerable, ubiquitous, Ludwig Supraphonic 400. Set up correctly with regard to heads/tension, the SuperTen will give a Supraphonic 400 a real run for it's money. But, it was certainly not even close to the 400 in popularity or use. The Supraphonic 400 WAS/IS the standard that a lot of snare drums were measured by, and by all appearances, still is!

Tommyp

Posted on 18 years ago

Hi Tommy, thanks for the reply. Here are the photos, I got the graphics guy in the office to do the business for me. I have to agree with you about the sound, it is an amazing drum. At the time when I bought it, the guy also had the Ludwig 6.5 and he was torn between which he wanted to let go. Truth is he didn't want to let either go.

Regards, Gary

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here