Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

[Rogers] Studio wants to update tom mounts on '65 Holiday?

Greetings,

First time poster here... not at all a vintage drum expert, but I appreciate the value of a great older kit. I run a studio, and my house drum kit is a 1965 Rogers Holiday kit with the original swiv-o-matic tom mounts on the bass drum. Problem is, many drummers who play it have a difficult time positioning the toms in a comfortable location.

What should I do? Is there a more modern tom mount that I can easily attach to the bass drum, without drilling the bass drum (and affecting its value)? Or am I forced to buy a separate tom stand and just mount the two Rogers toms on that (using RIMS or something similar)?

Any recommendations appreciated. I don't want to hurt the value of these drums (which sound amazing), but the original tom mounts are not very practical by modern standards.

Best,

Aj

Posted on 16 years ago

Unless you have money to throw away, don't change the original mounts. Use RIMS and another stand. Or maybe a clamp on mount on the original Rogers mount with a rims hanging tom mount. You will spend less on the new mounts than you would lose in value on the Rogers by changing the original mounts - unless you can find a way to do it without drilling holes, allowing you to reuse the Rogers hardware.

Posted on 16 years ago

Buy a different kit, and let the sissy boys play that one.

Dont pearl up the rogers.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 16 years ago

Good advice... any recommendations on a clamp mount and suspension mount system for a '65 Rogers tom (12")?

Posted on 16 years ago

Do you have a drum shop close to you? Any good drum shop should be able to set you up with a rims mount that could mount to a separate stand.

Posted on 16 years ago

The Rims mounts are great and that is what most people use. I have one for a 12" that came with a set that I'm going to part out soon.

Here is the 12" rims mount with a DW double braced cymbal stand with the two tom option mounts...

Better yet, one can be a tom and one a cowbell!

David

2 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here