Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Rogers snare wire issue.

So this is my first post besides my intro post and I have scoured the web and this site for an answer but can't seem to find one which is strange because I can't be the only one who's had this issue. I just recently got a Rogers Luxor snare to match my kit and EVERYTHING on this snare from the wires to the heads is original which is great. BUT upon looking at the wires closely I notice some of the wires are not in full contact with the reso head. I know this is not ideal in regards to snare sensitivity but I really don't want to buy after market snares if I have the original snares right here its not drastic but 2 or 3 wires are not touching that reso! Now my question is this: Is there any way to straighten these guys out or should I just buy new wires and store the original wires with the original heads in the event I sell the drum in the future. Thanks in advance.

Posted on 13 years ago

hey there,

maybe if you could post some pictures we could get an idea of whats going on. could be the strainer is a little crooked, or maybe the snare wires aren't seated all the way or maybe the snare wires themselves have some kinks in them. thanks!

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks for the response! I will try to get some pictures up as soon as possible to help explain my issue, but I'm in and out of town so much its tough to make the time when I'm home. I know its not a strainer issue because I took the wires off the drum to change the heads so I can store the original heads and when I laid them on a table that's when I noticed the offending snare wires.

Posted on 13 years ago

I would think your best bet would be to order replacement snare wires and store the originals with the heads as you stated. Chances are that if you try to fix the offending coils, you might just cause more problems. I know I would!

That's why I bought replacements for my COB Dynasonic as it's a players drum anyway. Sure sounds better with the new wires as compared to the originals that has several coils that are stretched. Some folks are just rough with drums!

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks for the input ddrumman2004 I was thinking the EXACT same thing! It looks like one of those situations where I would cause more harm than good if I were to start messing around with those wires. At the end of the day I need the drum to SOUND right not LOOK original. Don't get me wrong I would love to have everything original and fully fuctional,and I know that I should safely store all original parts if I ever sell the drum, but in the mean time I'm going to pick up some new wires and slap em' on there. I just needed to hear someone else point of view on the subject to push me in the right direction. Pictures to come soon Thanks!

Posted on 13 years ago

Once the wires become bent and out of "flat" or "square" or whatever you want to call it, there really is no good way to fix them. You can go either with high dollar replacements from PureSound or the $6.00 fix of the el-cheapo Asian ones. Either way, they will both seat properly and you will likely not be able to tell the difference, unless you are 18 and your ears have not had time to age....

Many people report the copper PS strands to be rather harsh on many drums, so I just use the music store specials. If your snare beds are proper and you know how to do a proper replacement of snares, almost any good strands will sound great. Bob Gatzen as a great video on the best method for properly setting up and seating new wires. I highly recommend checking it out. It never hurts to have a refresher course.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

That looks like what I'm going to have to do thank you for response!

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here