Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Rogers snare from the Mays?? Era .....

I'm looking at a snare at a local music store which is 14x I'd guess 6.5 or deeper. It's a 10 lug snare drum. (the vintage guy told me it was from the Mays era) It's completely gold/brass in color ... everything is gold/brass colored. I played it briefly, and found it VERY sensitive and crisp. My question is, were the Rogers drums from this era any good? I know it's not considered a true Rogers drum, but is it rare?? Should I pass on it? Is $199 too much to pay for it? I wish I had a pic for you, but it's in the store. It's in mint condition with the original heads on it and not a scratch to be found anywhere. I'm planning on taking a trip down tomorrow to put a magnet on it and see what happens. Any info on a Mays era snare would be appreciated. Help2 Am I right in thinking this drum is probably a POS????

Posted on 16 years ago

Mays was on the verge of some high end offerings. I think they were being built by Peace. Some of the last drums produced were quite nice, and had they not ran into trouble, by now, we would have some real rogers from them. That didnt happen. The snare in question might be an ok snare. It might even be worth what they are asking. I would tend to say at least 30% less though. While "rare" it might never be collectable.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks again Ploughman!!! I did buy the snare (at a decent price) and it is a brass shell 14x6.5 and the rims are gold and the lugs are very odd shaped tube style lugs. Very different looking, but that famous Rogers Script is what really sold it!! (on top of the great sound it produces!!) Very well built and the throw off is a great design too!! I really like this drum. It's among my favorites now. Since these aren't "collectible" yet, does anyone have one they want to sell??? I'll buy these all day long ..... I'm that impressed. :)

Posted on 16 years ago

Now that you have it home, can we see pictures? Sounds like an interesting drum!!

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago

Check Craigslist SF........... theres a mays beavertail set up there for 5 bills. I hear tell they were ok.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 16 years ago

Ask and ye shall recieve ....... PICS!!!! (excuse the dust and cleaning residue my camera LOVES to show)

2 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here