Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Rogers snare conversion

I?m about to aquire a Dynasonic COB snare and my question is: Is it possible (in an easy, non damaging way..) to swap the dynasonic snareframe to a holiday or powertone model snare or do I have to make some modifications to the actual drum (drilling etc.)?

Posted on 17 years ago

In one word - don't do it.....(three words actually).

D

Posted on 17 years ago

Haha!! Don't worry I'm not going to! I was just curious if it was possible to just put the snareframe on a regular (holiday, powertone) snare without any modifications. But it's not?

Posted on 17 years ago

Hey Roger...

There's really no reason WHY you would want to do that... but more importantly, you really can't!... well, without problems/modification anyway. Here's why:

There would be no drilling... but! ... remember, the Powertone is an eight lug drum, the Dynasonic is a ten lug drum. You would need a bottom Dynasonic hoop w/guards to allow the snare frame to lower off the bottom head, and Rogers doesn't make an 8 hole bottom Dynasonic hoop. Then there's the snare bed issue. On "some" Poweretones there are very slight to no beds... on others, the snare beds are very pronounced. The Dynasonic snare frame won't work well at all on a drum with snare beds. But the major stumbling block would be the bottom hoop. Besides,

You have already aquired a COB Dynasonic! That drum will deliver as it was designed. Enjoy!

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

Tommyp! Well I think there is a reason why. If I have one holiday wood model snare and one dynasonic COB snare it would be great if I could try the wood model with the dynasonic snareframe/strainer don't you think? But only if it could be done without any damaging to the drum ofcourse! But as you pointed out (and I forgot about from my previous thred and your great lesson!) the holiday/powertone models are 8 lug drums...so not possible. Anyway, thanks for the reply!

Posted on 17 years ago

Hey Roger!

Well I completely understand your wanting to check out the wood Dynasonic experience! You know,

I own/play two wood Rogers Dynasonics... a 1966 and a 1967 ... both in WMP. Actually, ALL my wood drums are in WMP... anyway,

The other thing you could do is this: Seeing that you just aquired a COB Dynasonic, you could EASILY and relatively CHEAPLY make yourself a wood Dynasonic "clone". I know a couple guys that will re-create the EXACT shell lay-up with regard to wood specie/plies/rings/bearing edges as the original wood Dynasonics. They will finish the drum in your choice of wrap, ( would look killer in Green Sparkle! ) and drill everything out to accept the hadware off of your COB Dynasonic. The Dynasonic badge and Rogers script logo don't have to be installed... but they could for the full affect, although of course they would have no effect on the sound of the drum. All you do is install your hardware from your donor Dynasonic and voila!... a wood Dynasonic. You would of course keep the donor COB shell stored safely so you could return that drum to it's original state when you wanted to. So,

Just a thought for you... and a much less expensive way to experience the wood Dynasonic sound/feel. For the record:

My main gigging snare is my 1967 Rogers wood Dynasonic in WMP. That drum has NEVER let me down in any playing situation. I have a 1964 COB 7 line Dynasonic and a 1965 COB 7 line Dynasonic as well... but I rarely play them. I much prefer the wood Dynasonic's for the stuff that I do. Who knows... maybe you'll try this!

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here