Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.06472%

Rogers rewrap: What do you think?

Thought I'd share my first experiment using the "Tape Method" for rewrapping. Previously, I used wraps from Precision Drum applied with 3M contact cement, but I thought I'd try the taped-on wrap from JamminSam for this Rogers orphan set (Before and After shot below). Very pleased. It's so much easier than cementing, and it provides for easy removal if you get tired of the finish and want to start over.

Rogers purists will notice some anomolies. I placed a single tom mount collet on the bass where the original double mount was. I prefer this location for a single tom setup rather than the off-center location which Rogers used for single toms (which throws the tom too far to the left). I then placed a small hose clamp on the tom mount post to relieve force on the collet and prevent the need for over-tightening.

Also, I replaced the straight hex cymbal rod with a hex floor tom leg. The bend of the tom leg allows a large ride cymbal to offset a little more to the player's right providing greater clearance from the center-mounted tom.

I'll be using this set in a light-jazz quartet (piano, flute, bass, and drums).

What do ya think?

[Attachment: 31312]

[Attachment: 31313]

-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 13 years ago

The job looks beautiful. But you need to read this from the Precision Drum website. Important info:

"Recommended Adhesive

To obtain long-lasting quality, it is important to use the correct adhesive.

3M (30-NF, FASTBOND, Neutral) Contact Cement is the recommended adhesive. You may be able to purchase it in a local hardware store or lumber yard. Or, you may purchase a quart of

3M 30-NF from us. One quart will do at least a five piece drum set.

Note: using any other adhesive products will void our results guarantee.

Q: What do you think about the double sided tape method of wrapping drums?

A: The tape method is quick and easy, but it's not a quality job. You might notice that the large drum companies use tape on their beginner level drums. When wrap is taped, and not adhered completely to the shell, the wrap will dampen the sound of the shell - as if a blanket were wrapped around it. When wrap is glued completely, the wrap essentially becomes part of the shell, and resonates as part of the shell.

Besides the sound issue, the tape method could allow the wrap to ripple, bubble, not lay flat, or simply crack, especially as the drum wrap ages.

See what can happen when wrap is only held on with tape at the seam.."

Hope the info helps... your kit came out gorgeous regardless.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks, John. It is due to this very advice from Precision Drum that I've always used the contact cement method of rewrapping, but I thought I'd experiment with the tape bonding just to hear for myself. Properly tuned, there's no discernable audible difference between these "taped" Powertones and my original (still factory fresh) 8-piece Rogers set I bought new in 1974, but for my next project (5-piece Fullerton set) I'll return to Precision for some Silver Glass Glitter wrap properly mounted with cement.

Posted on 13 years ago

That was going to be my next question: do you hear a discernible difference? You've answered it for me. I've never used the tape method for the same reason as you; that 'wet blanket' comment over at Precision. But I was curious if there was a real change in the drums tone/sound because of the loose wrap. Maybe it's one of those differences you can only measure with an oscilloscope.

If it sounds good... play on MacDuff! D' Drummer

They do look great though. I'm a sucker for WMP. Nice (classic) choice. They'll look great at jazz gigs. Right out of the 50's/60's.

John

Posted on 13 years ago

Purdie,

Your "wet blanket" remark reminded me how we totally muffled both our shells and heads in the late 60's and early 70's. At an outdoor rock festival in 1972, I saw a drummer for a funk band who had all his tom and bass resonant heads removed (as we all did), stuffed the double basses with pillows, and had his shells recovered in purple velvet. Talk about a flat, dead sound, and here we're debating tape vs. cement rewrapping.

I think out of nostalgia, I going to recreate the purple velvet treatment to a trashed stencil set I've had sitting around for a while and put a groovy peace symbol on the bass.

Posted on 13 years ago

Love the floor tom leg cymbal arm with a swivo tilter it makes perfect sence a great way to get it a bit more right .. and I love WMP... :) alot of folks including myself took a offset tom holder from it's postion and put it top dead center for double base setups in the mid and late 60, angled right for the left base and angled left for the right bass drum put two toms in perfect position...

Posted on 13 years ago

LOL - TRUE DAT! Some guys are -still- doing it! Last year I subbed for a drummer in local Blues Band while he was on his honeymoon. When I went to rehearsal, the kit had no reso's, grey duct tape all over the heads in giant star patterns and there was so much laundry stuffed into the bass drum, it was spilling out the front end onto the floor. The toms and bass were tuned to JAW on top of that!

They sounded like wet cardboard! I asked the band leader about it and he told me that's just the way he likes his drums to sound. As I was only a temp in that situation, I sat down, did my job and kept my mouth shut. It kind of blew my mind though that anybody was still doing that to their drums in 2011.

We've come a long way baby! lol

John

Posted on 13 years ago

I liked the no reso sound but i did not use laundry... ahh my first Clevelands they were awesome

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/Magwa/30yearslater.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 13 years ago

LOL....Ahh...yes, "That Flat Sound".

Was all the rage here in NYC in the 70s. Me, personally, I hated it. however, I did some sessions at the time where the producer specifically requested the "flat sound" like the drums fills on "Daddy Dont You Walk So Fast".

No bounce to the drums, no resonance, no sustain...I mean, geez, what was the point. it was like playing a leather chair!!!!

You also needed to have "extra' chops to sound good, as there was no sustain on the toms to fill out the sound.

It was nice, but I'm glad those days are gone!! These days my drums are wide open, two headed with virtually no muffling.

Posted on 13 years ago

Being as I live on reservation and have been around Native Dancing most of my life I have to admit that some of the very best sounding drums I have ever heard were Native drums One sided they simply boom and you feel it in the chest the trick is to tighten the skins very tight then you have bounce , and resonance it also worked with drums in the 60's and 70's it was all in the tuning.

There was no reason to have your drums sound like cardboard and they were much louder which is the reason most of us took off the resonant heads to be heard over marshall amps lol...

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here