Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Rogers question

Hello vintage drum community, I've very much enjoyed reading all the threads from past to present, I've learned a great deal just from that! I recently bought a 1976 Rogers Studio Ten and I am hoping you could share some information with me on the history of this set.

Posted on 18 years ago

Wowo.........you gotta post some pics .

Ive never seen a real studio ten set up like in the catalogue.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 18 years ago

sticksandstones...

When I was in college... ( Berklee College of Music ) ... I was renting an apartment with a guy from Illinois that brought with him a brand new Rogers Studio X kit in... Butcherblock wrap. I remember those well... as in the playing of them and the visual. Anyway,

If yours are 76's, you should have the Memriloc hardware system. If you have the Swivo-Matic hardware, your kit would be dated earlier. Yes, some pics would certainly help with adding info for you. Otherwise,

Barring that, let me know on the hardware "style", and I can help you from there with regard to shells, etc. And,

What wrap is on your kit? Got Rogers?! :-)

Tommyp

Posted on 18 years ago

Memriloc hardware, KOA wrap- I didn't know I had bought a studio ten until I found the picture in the catolog. The previous owner had placed the smaller diameter cymbal units in the 3rd hole on both tom mounts and had the drums set up octaplus style. When I got them home and began cleaning/inspecting I noticed that wasn't correct. I even wondered if things might be missing, so I started researching. I guess I can't say for sure that they are '76- they could be later, right? I mean, like '77or '78? I'm certain the previous owner didn't know any history or the model- nor did I, initially, for that matter. I need to replace the heads, not that they are bad, in fact they're fairly new, It's just that they are a mix of batter, dot, and pinstripe. I'll show 'em off when I match that up...........

Posted on 18 years ago

Yes... given that you HAVE Memriloc, your Studio X kit is at LEAST a 1976, and I believe that particular model was discontinued in 1977. It started out with the Swivo-Matic hardware in 1974, if memory serves. Anyway,

Koa! Well, that's better than the Rogers Block wrap in my opinion. The funny thing about these kits is, the majority of them, that I have ever seen and/or played over the years, are either in Block, New England White, or Koa. Interesting.

By all means post 'em up here when you are done with the cleaning/refurbishing. We all want to see 'em! Got Rogers?! :-)

Tommyp

Posted on 18 years ago

Will do- I'm certain I will experiment,but what heads would be correct?

Posted on 18 years ago

Rogers OEM heads were the Remo Coated Ambassador's with the Rogers logo on 'em. If you wanted to replicate the "authentic look", but still have the heads play/sound great, you could go with the Aquarian Satin Finish Coated model heads. Because I gig on my Rogers, I needed a head that would deliver approx. the vintage sound of the drum, but be a bit more durable then the old Ambassador, thus, the Aquarian's. I have ALL Remo Coated Ambassadors with just the Rogers logo on the bottoms though. However!...

Like anything of this nature, this is totally subjective to personal opinion and playing style/taste. The Aquarian heads are the best that I have found to date that look period, and deliver in the sound department as well. Not to mention they have what I have found to be, the best rough coat texture going. It wears evenly and doesn't seem to chip away over time. Anyway,

Ultimately, the choice is completely yours! But the Coated Single Ply white heads were how the drums were originally delivered.

Tommyp

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks Tommyp- I've got a few Super X mufflers to find, and those expensive 2002's and I'll have the catalog's picture. Man, I'm amp'd!

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here