Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Rogers puritans - look away please!

I bought this trashed Rogers kit a while ago and have been getting it into playing shape. It was stripped and sort of orange in colour. Sizes are 8, 10, 12, 16, 20. It came without any original hardware. It has Pearl fittings and lots of butchered holes. Rogers are totally rare in Oz and the sizes hooked me. (Big Harvey Mason fan). Sanded all the orange crap off and at the moment it's unfinished. The 8" tom (8 is originally Memriloc; 10" is a Swivo) had snare lugs which were off centre. I bought some lugs and made it offset like the 10". Tracked down a Dyna for it. This kit sounds fantastic. But I am still not happy with the resonance owing to the Pearl arms. The 10" could cut through anything but the 12" and the 8" suffer, especially the 8" which has bad bearing edges on the bottom (or none). Tried Pearl ISS mounts, which worked ok on the 10". This week I got an Optimount for the 12" and it came to life. Problem is that unless I can modify them heavily, these mounts won't fit on the staggered lug toms. So I'm looking at a set of RIMS which only need the top lugs to work. I have a set of these on a Pearl kit from the 80's and they work very well (but are a bit ugly, imo). I use this kit for funk and R&B in the studio and I can't remember a kit I've enjoyed so much. I had a Harvey Mason -style kit in the late 70's - it was played here in Oz by Roberta Flacks drummer - 8 & 10" concert toms; 12/13/16/20 - I'll play one again, mint, one day - God willing.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g179/troutstudio/the_rack.jpg

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 17 years ago

Trout,

That's my kind of kit! I have a very similar Gretsch setup. Check the Gallery for the Gretsch green monster. If you go the extra miles to plug the holes and either uniformly wrap it or refinish it, it's big time and money/money and time. You end up with something you could never sell and get your money back on but if it satisfies you to own it and play it, it is totally yours. Planned out, laid out and played out piece by piece until it is maxxed out and one of a kind.

I prefer 22" kick and 14" low tom, but that's me. It looks like you can really take care of business on that machine.

Enjoy.

Gary

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 17 years ago

I think you hve done very well with those. Nice set up.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 17 years ago

The 8" is likely a conversion from a concert tom. Most of the Big R small toms were. If the edge is flat, you can get the edge cut and really open up the drum. I converted a 10" concert tom and recut the edge to specs. Sounds really good. Nice restoration... Always better to fill holes and recover than throw away. Yes Sir

I have also seen some Memriloc arms fitted for rims mounts without using the tom mount itself. They should fit in the Pearl style rim mount holder. No holes in the tom. Just cut the hanging arm to length.

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks for the replies everyone. I do love playing it . . .

Quoted post

Trout,I prefer 22" kick and 14" low tom, but that's me. It looks like you can really take care of business on that machine.Enjoy. Gary

I am always on the look out for other drums, especially a 14" hanging tom (since the floors are so pricey) and a 22" kick.

Quoted post

The 8" is likely a conversion from a concert tom. Most of the Big R small toms were. If the edge is flat, you can get the edge cut and really open up the drum.

Yes it is a concert tom. It has a rounded edge, like a home job. Sad thing is that I cannot find a single person to do edges in Australia. We have a couple of drum makers but they don't do custom jobs. If anyone here knows someone . .

Quoted post

I have also seen some Memriloc arms fitted for rims mounts without using the tom mount itself. They should fit in the Pearl style rim mount holder. No holes in the tom. Just cut the hanging arm to length.

I completely agree. I always mount my Pearl toms so that the arms don't intrude. But I think much of the problem is the vibration travelling into those big arms as well. The Optimount works really well. I swapped my 10 & 12" RIMS from my Pearls over to the Rogers last night; I got an Optimount off eBay too so I'm going to put them on my Pearls and buy an 8" RIMS for the small Rogers. The rims are kind of big & chromy but they work really well.

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here