Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Rogers project can begin!

Mark sold me a cool kit a few months ago. This then sent me on the hunt for this.

[IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HHHjVg6SPU4/U7VPnnpGb7I/AAAAAAAACzE/nOP-xkycg6Y/s800/20140703_074648-1.jpg[/IMG]

It would be perfect if it was in silver sparkle but I believe it is the nearest thing to perfect I can find given the situation. The drum is perfect and the edges are in amazing condition!

Rogers were so ahead of their time. The other floor tom is 14" Kent floor. The thing is built like a tank and part of another project.

While I hate to modify this drum I think it is the lesser of two evils. It will be easier to wrap it in silver glitter and let the rest of the other kit remain in its original wrap.

Manny

Sonor SQ2 10 14 18 American Walnut
L.A. Camco 12 14 18 Moss Green
Gretsch Round Badge 12 14 18 w/snare Champagne
Gretsch Round Badge 12 14 20 w/snare Burgundy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhdcpleTKlI

82nd ABN DIV OEF OIF Combat Infantry Veteran
Posted on 10 years ago

Certainly easier than trying to make the bass and tom into blue/silver duco to match the floor tom. Might be even easier to ask if anyone is looking for what you have in exchange for what you need.

Posted on 10 years ago

PS - sometimes painted or natural finish drums have different outside dimensions than wrapped drums. I know you'll find that to be the case with a Slingerlands that have an exposed mahogany outer ply.

Posted on 10 years ago

From Dan Boucher

PS - sometimes painted or natural finish drums have different outside dimensions than wrapped drums. I know you'll find that to be the case with a Slingerlands that have an exposed mahogany outer ply.

Dan,

Oh yes I am tracking that but thank you for the kindly reminder. I am thinking that I will go the tape method so that in the future if someone needs a Duco drum they can have one by just removing the wrap.

I also think you are right that matching a Duco can be tought not to mention all the prep work that is required.

Manny

Posted on 10 years ago

From airborneSFC

I am thinking that I will go the tape method so that in the future if someone needs a Duco drum they can have one by just removing the wrap.

+1

Great idea. Can't wait to see the finished floor tom next to the rest of the kit.

-Tim

Posted on 10 years ago

From Dan Boucher

Good point, glass glitter wrap is thick. If that shell is out of round you may have a tough time getting a head on it.

Cam

"If we can't be free we can at least be cheap" -FZ
Posted on 10 years ago

Manny cool floor tom. The rest of that kit is on the Rogers group on FB. A member has a bass, tom and snare in that duco finish.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 10 years ago

From FFR428

Manny cool floor tom. The rest of that kit is on the Rogers group on FB. A member has a bass, tom and snare in that duco finish.

Yeah I saw that. Very cool. I hit a roadblock though; none of the modern wraps available are close to what this rogers has. It's like a silver glass glitter wrap but all the modern version have too much gold in them.

My backup plan is to make a wrap by either scanning or using high quality digital photos and have one made. If you guys have any suggestions let me know. I know of someone who used FedEx for this; printed on high quality paper and then had it laminated. Might be able to use bum wrap like I know another member has. Help2

Manny

Posted on 10 years ago

drumMaker has a custom color wrap option where you can match more closely the fade....

I'm not sure of all the details on the process and purchasing, but some members have used it in the past.

Perhaps they can chime in with the specifics?

Kevin
Posted on 10 years ago

From Dan Boucher

This is correct. Most times Rogers drums with a Duco finish have a mahogany veneer on the shell. If wrap is applied, heads will not fit. I learned this the hard way. The wrap needs to be cut around 1/2" from the edges if this is the case.

Get an exact measurement aross the top of the shell: the wood diameter needs to be 13 7/8" or less for the wrapped shell to accept heads.

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here