Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Rogers Powertone In Question

I am new to this forum but have a very interesting collection of vintage drums and equipment. With regard to one of my recent Ebay purchases, it's a Rogers Powertone snare drum that looks to be from the early 70's Fullerton era because of the white felt muffler. However, there is NO LABEL on the interior of this drum, see pics. My question was that normal for PowerTones from that time period? If not, than I have a theory that this drum was replated. Please confirm. I own two other Rogers Snare Drums. One is a DynaSonic from 1971 Serial Number 27181 in Museum Condition and another, a PowerTone in excellent condition from the early-mid 60's, with a Cleveland label pasted right over the existing staples that hold the outside Rogers logo. Both drums have what I can describe as a brassy hue on the inside shell of the drum. The PowerTone in question is almost completely plated inside, except for a 2 1/2 inch narrow band inside that indicates to me that the shell is brass and original.

Also the tension screws are flat at the knob-base. That can't be original, right?

Please look at the pics and let me know your thoughts.....

I will have some interesting posts and pics of my stuff for the future and look forward to interacting with all of you.....

thanks!

Posted on 17 years ago

Nice drum, paper tag missing, tension rods are correct. rogers were square to the base.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 17 years ago

The Ploughman is correct... the tension rods are original/correct, and for whatever reason, the paper tag/label is missing, and I have seen that happen before. Also,

Rogers built an awful lot of Powertones in the COB shell configuration, so it would be highly improbable that anyone would have one of these replated... especially a later Fullerton model.

The brass Powertones always sounded very brash/harsh to me, unlike their wood counterparts which are beautiful sounding drums across the board... however!... I have an early ( 1964 ) steel shell Powertone which sounds excellent. Not as biting/harsh as the COB, but with a lot of POWER should you lean into it. Very similar in sound to the later Rogers SuperTen, but in the Powertone eight lug configuration. Regardless,

Nice drum indeed! Got Rogers?! :-)

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks Tommy P for the info.

As far as the sound.....well different strokes for different folks....I've always liked the bright sound of COB PowerTones, but I am sure you'll agree, wood of the same model will always sound "warmer" than "metal".

Then again, I have always loved the Fibes Snare and that drum is not what I would call "warm", but projects like no other. have one including my 72 Chrome over Fiberglass CF Martin set.

I do notice a difference in brightness between my older PowerTone and this one. This one is a bit more hard and the other more resonant. Both have the same heads, etc.

None of these drums in my opinion sound anything like my DynaSonic, which in my opinion is one of the few COB to date that almost has the warmth of wood but projects like few others. Still, and my point, not as warm as a wood DynaSonic.....and not worth as much!!!!!! Cool Dude

I am still trying to get a handle on my Slingerland which I also posted. I can say this....Distinctive. I think the Brass rims give it a somewhat unique flavor.

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi scovit!... and,

YES! It goes without saying that wood is certainly "warmer" than ANY metal or fiberglass varient/model snare drum. Interesting on the Fibes... I have a near MINT 1973 Fibes SFT 690 COF... THE Buddy Rich snare if you will, and with the proper rectangular badge... and ... Agreed! The Fibes isn't even close to being a "warm" sounding drum, but man is it responsive. Being the Rogers guy I am, my main gigging snare is my 1967 Rogers WMP Dynasonic. I also have a 1966 Rogers WMP Dynasonic, but I pretty much play the 1967 exclusively.

My entire collection is focused on and around the different snare drums/kits that BR played in his most illustrious career. I invite you to have a look at some of them. Here is the link: http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/other_stuff/tommy_p/tommy_index.html

The "sound" of any model/brand snare drum is of course entirely subjective to personal opinion... and that's why I can respect your affinity for the COB Powertones. And, that's why I like my 1964 COS Powertone!

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

Steel Shell Powertone?

Thats rare. gotta be as rare as those cast Bread and Butter lugs they popped on some late Luxors. Ive never seen one, but Ive seen pictures. I wonder if there were any wood or chrome dynas that had the cast B&Bs. I have seen the 6.5" powertone in wood and brass, but I know those are fairly rare also.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 17 years ago

Yes, I have seen it. Super nice collection! The envy of people who "know"!!! Your focus and interest is much in the same vein as mine.

I've been playing drums since I was 4 1/2. Saw BR some 20 times at least, living in the metro NY area. Bellson, Morello, and later all my contemporaries. They were drummers. They knew how to play and pick their equipment, cymbals and the like. Forget about the endorsements. It was a craft. Now?

I go into Guitar Center, Same Ash, and a variety of other local stores and the stuff just doesn't sound good. While I think much of the new hardware stands and accessories are really cool, the drums, cymbals, especially just don't sound good. Again, what's good? Highly subjective.

My life path took me away from drums as a career and into other passions even though at the time I was told that I was gifted (not me beieving that) as a player. But no regrets. I am chock full of knowledge imparted to me from the old timers, what you and I would consider lost talents. .....matching sticks, tuning drums over each lug etc.

and just recently sold my "first drum set" I ever owned. They were Magestic Drums, See the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMESO%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330072486141&rd=1&rd=1

So you could say that I've come out of dormancy and happy to share, learn and converse. I'll definitely have more picks to show in the future.....

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here