Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Rogers owners...what are your head preferences?

Hello all,

I'm about to buy new heads for a Rogers script-badge kit I acquired.

It's a 22" bass with 12/13/16. I'm new to the world of Rogers, so before I default to simple Ambassadors, I wondered what you guys prefer. Are there any heads to avoid?

Thanks,

Dan

Posted on 17 years ago

I rushed to read this thread but then I realized you wanted to know what kind of drum heads to use.

Well as long as I'm here. I've always used emperors on toms and an ambassador on the snare. I like the deeper overtones you get from the emperors. Recently I tried the Aquarian American Vintage heads, slightly oversized. They are supposed to be reminiscent of calf skin, but that is lost on me. I've never played on calf skin. I use the thin on the snare and the mediums on the toms and bass drum batter. Nice heads. They seem durable with a little less attack then the Remos but all the tone you need. I like them a lot. Someone told me the coating chips off but I have not seen that yet.

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 17 years ago

For my applications, I now prefer the Diplomats. They are too thin to play hard, but they are great for low-volume "jazz" sounds. They respond better to light playing but they have a ceiling where, if played too hard, will cause them to "boink". I really like the coated Diplomats a lot -especially for brushes.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

And i am at the other end of the chart i hit hard and play hard i use Pinstripes all the way around and emperors on the resonant side..i like a little more thud than Boing... FYI

Posted on 17 years ago

I like the emperor on the top and ambassador on the bottoms. Just like John Henry..........also the new evans heads i've seen, i think they're called EC2 are very nice. They have a sound somewhere between a pinstripe and medium coated head, a little muted but still somewhat resonant. I like 'em

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago

I have Aquarian Satin Finish on one set, Coated Ambassadors on every thing else. Clear Diplomats on bottom for all sets. BD heads are Fiberskyn3 Ambassadors (no hole) for the reso on most of my sets. For the bass drums batters, on the 18 I have an EQ1, on the 24 Powerstroke 3 Pinstripe, EQ3 on one of the twenties, an Aquarian something or other on a different 20, and Im not sure about the last one. Seems like every time Ive wanted a 20" BD head, I have to take what theyve got.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 17 years ago

This is one of those "how long is a piece of string" (or, in this case, thread) ones. What's your main style? Only Rogers I ever had ended up with one of the early Remo Fyberskins on top? and Diplomat on bottom. Made it sound "calfy" but you could still whack the hell out of it, if need be.

D

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here