Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Rogers Mutt Set

ISoap Box I bought a Rogers set when I was 16yrs old (20 yrs ago). It turns out it is a mix of Rogers drums from different time periods. Worse, the bass drum was drilled to allow for this Pearl tom mount system to be installed. Next the toms were drilled to accept the pearl mount arms. The floor tom is a very nice 14x16 ? Luwig stripped of all makers badges and made to look like it matches the Rogers. It has a crappy re-wrap in white to try to make it look like the Rogers. These are all 60s drums. Some have the Holiday sticker and one has the Big R sticker. Well made drums, probably maple and in good condition. It is what it is. Well, I am no purist, but I considerd trying to return the set to what it originlly was. With all the drilling...I dont; think it can be done. They do sound really good. So, I was thinking about re-wrpping them so they look alike. They all have a different shade of white wrap. Its not original and it appears it would be very expnseive to buy all the parts and matching drum to make it original. So, why not re-wrap them all in my favorite color and just continue to enjoy them? Or is there any hope of restoring them? Would the re-wrp destroy all monatary value? Hey, a mutt can be beautiful too.

Posted on 15 years ago

I wouldnt recommend the rewrap. Take the money you would spend on that AND the bigger amount of money you would spend on obtaining correct parts for your drums, and buy yourself a Rogers set without issues. Get some cheap decent looking contact wrap paper for this here set and recover them with that. Use them for a player kit.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 15 years ago

They've already been rewrapped and drilled out for (ick) Pearl mounts. There is no monetary value left. You should do whatever the heck you want to these drums to make them perfect for you so that you can enjoy them year after year. You can plug most of those holes (or at least give it a shot...some of those holes are pretty big). Put a nice wrap on 'em and add the proper Rogers mounts. Those would be very nice players drums.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Tough call...it could go either way.

I see Plough's point....OK, so figure a decent wrap for a 4-pc. kit would cost about $200 materials.

Then get the proper Rogers hardware.... Bass/tom mount, FT leg mounts, maybe bass spurs....that's add another $150-200.

So, you'd be spending about $400 on just the materials. The labor'd be significant.

I would suggest patching the big holes by using a junk shell and cutting a patch to fit the holes in the rogers shells. Just make sure the junk shell is of a similar thickness. Then you are talkin' unwrap, clean up the shells, and rewrap.

It'd be a labor of love, really. Terrible, terrible to see good old vintage shells which were mistreated so. Always nice to see them deservedly brought back to life. And yes, it'd lose market value because it'd be a rehabbed, rewrapped set. But scr#w that...it'd be hecka better than what it currently is...and it'd be YOURS.

But again...you could probably sell the pieces, pocket maybe $100-200, and buy a Rogers kit in better condition for $600 or so......so....monetarily, it's a bit of a wash...

Like I said, both Plough and McJ are right...[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I keep looking at these shells. There are really good, quality drums....But all the work. There is just a lot of small issues that will end up to be alot of time and money. I just picked up a Powertone set from someone's basement for $200. I just need to buy one nose collet (tom mount thing) and the set is up and running. I think this new set will just replace the old rogers set. I can keep them all , right? The sheets will be a score for someone else whom needs a New England white Holiday 8 x 12 or the bass drum, etc., etc.

I have a 8x12, 22" bass drum , 9 x13 tom. What is a fair asking price?: They are all Holiday with the re-drills and worng mounts. All the lugs, mufflers, tension rods, Rogers Badges, etc are all present.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here