Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Rogers late 50's....still rattling

Hey folks, just signed up. Looking forward to reading around here.

Im having rattling in my toms, rack 13, and floor 16. I thought it was the muffle pads, so i removed them. Rattle still there. So I removed every lug one at a time, and found that most of them were packed with cotton of some sort (not balls, but pads surrounding the spring). I packed the ones that werent with paper towels bc I didnt have cotton, and I read newspaper would even work....so I figured this was a good middle ground.

All the lugs are packed with something, and I am still having rattling! Its driving me nuts. I checked every screw, and everything is tight.

Any help would be appreciated here. I mean, should those lugs be packed super tight with cotton? They are all packed, but i guess they could be tighter. I wouldn't say they are loose by any means, the 13 tom are packed pretty tight. But the floor tom could be tighter. When im playing with a band its not noticeable. But I want to record on these one day and dont want a studio nightmare on my hands.

Thanks for the help in advance. I will get up some pics of my vintage drums soon to show off! 1957-58 Rogers, 1970 Ludwig champagne sparkle

Posted on 10 years ago

Hy

is there a script logo on it? If yes, check if this one is nailed properly to the Drum. I had that problem a short time ago with a Trixon Set! I was searching over and over the whole drum, took it apart found nothing, til i saw the Logo was rattling the whole time:-)

Just a guess...you never know!

Best regards

Christian

Posted on 10 years ago

On the outtakes of So What, off Kind of Blue, the engineer was giving Miles grief about the snares rattling in the opening where it's just piano & bass. Miles Davis said, "All that is part of it". It's part of the sound of vintage drums to me.

However, could be something in your room that's rattling. I searched for about 15 min for a rattle one day, only to find it was the light fixture above the kit. Sometimes the snares rattle on my stack in the corner of the room. Move the drum to a different room & see what you get. Could even go outside if you live in a quiet place (won't be quiet for long, huh?).

Tell your recording engineer the same thing Miles said. They won't hear it the mix anyway.

'56 Slingerland Krupa Set - Sparkling Gold Pearl
60's WFL Orphans Club Date - Black/Gold Duco (20/13/15)
Posted on 10 years ago

You may also want to check that your bearing edges are flat. You would take the heads off and place on a flat surface and then use a flashlight to check for any light peaking through. Had rattle on an old Leedy tom and it also drove me crazy. Turned out the bearing edge was no longer flat and it was rattling against the head.

- EMD
Posted on 10 years ago

And to also add.........the foot of the spring inside the lug normally has a small piece of felt at the bottom. With drums these old things get changed/swapped out. The felt pad is maybe 1/4" and will add a small amount of tension to the spring and insert inside the lug. If that's missing the spring may be a bit loose making it rattle? Just a though if none of the above hits the problem. BTW we all like pictures so please post some of your drums!!

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 10 years ago

I will go explore the stuff you guys mentioned. I definitely carried it around the house into different rooms, and the rattle is within the tom. The floor tom is quiet enough for me now, but the 13" tom rattles like crazy. What about packing them though, is it possible to pack them too tight or can i wad a lot of cotton in there?

Posted on 10 years ago

Actually I feel that packing lugs with cotton wool accellerates rust. A small piece of foam on the spring area should be enough. Might be another issue.

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 10 years ago

I just made a discovery. I found that all but 2 lugs were packed on the 13 tom, so i packed those. Also, they were pretty corroded inside. Some more than others. And, I found that the top screw to the lugs (red screw with a crown like washer, then a bigger washer) was not making full contact when fully tight. So the washer was free to roll on maybe 7/23 of the lugs. So I added a washer, and buzz is gone! Now to examine the other toms....

Posted on 10 years ago

Be careful tightening those things. You will break the tabs on those B&B lugs.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 10 years ago

I was getting a buzzing sound once...

After examining everything....found out my grommets were loose....

Tighten them up and all was well again..

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.