Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Rogers knobby mount on bass drum: thoughts/opinions?

So I'm cleaning up a 14x24 fullerton kick. At some point, someone started to install a knobby unit on the side of the drum (if you're facing the batter side, it's located at about 3 O'Clock on the drum.) And by started, I mean they only drilled two mount holes.

I'm not looking to rewrap this. The wrap is fine. Rather than trying to plug the holes, I was thinking it might be better at this point to drill the other two holes and have it mounted properly. It's positioned so the clamp channel is horizontal.

I was thinking this might be the best move, since plugging seems to be a pain in the butt, and I don't think it looks bad with a mount on the side.

Any thoughts/opinions on the pros and cons of this? Would a cymbal "L-Arm" work effectively with this setup? Anyone have experience using an L-Arm like this for a ride, and has it worked well/poorly for you? Does it put stress on the shell?

I may be in the market for one if people have had good experiences with it. I'd be interested to know what they go for these days.

Thanks!!

-Pepe

Posted on 12 years ago

Since it is already there, finish and mount correctly. Lots of them around, so no worries about shell stress really. Seems like less stress if mounted with all 4 holes. Some very early Cleveland mounts had 2 holes, but if yours has 4, go for it.

Posted on 12 years ago

From amosguy

Since it is already there, finish and mount correctly. Lots of them around, so no worries about shell stress really. Seems like less stress if mounted with all 4 holes. Some very early Cleveland mounts had 2 holes, but if yours has 4, go for it.

Thanks for the input, amos! It's most likely what I'll end up doing. I'll have to keep an ear to the ground for an L arm.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here