Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Rogers Holiday

Hi to all!

Rogers Holiday drum set just pop up on Serbian buy sell web site.

It is 20"-12"-16" with "L" cymbal arm for about 1650 $.

Behind the kit is Ludwig Supra, according to seller it is COB, pre serial,14"x5", for about 770$.

What you can tell me about Rogers set from pictures, is this set worth money?

About Supra, if I cant find "B" or yellow underlug, weight should be only proof?

Regards

Dule

Selling cymbals Made in Turkey

http://turkishcymbalserbia.weebly.com/
Posted on 2 years ago

Posted on 2 years ago

That's a gorgeous Rogers kit, but I am no expert on them. We'll have to wait for the Rogers buffs to chime in.

In regards to the Ludwig snare, it does appear to be a genuine 1961-1963 COB "Super Ludwig." (predecessor to the Supraphonic.) The felt on the muffler should be red in color. There won't be a B on these early COB snares; that feature came later. The only "negative" that I can see from the photos is the wear or tarnish to the Ludwig badge.

Weight should be about 3.6 kg or 8 pounds, 2 ounces.

Assuming there are no dents or damage to the shell or hoops, I think $770 is a great price. I've seen them sell on the ebay and reverb websites for over $1000.

Good luck with that purchase!

Regards, mb

Posted on 2 years ago

Thank you for replay Marty!

Posted on 2 years ago

Crimped beds look right, badge looks right, no pitting looks right, but the baseball bat muffler is not a good sign for CoB.

More importantly, that lower lip doesn't looked turned in enough to say CoB to my eyes. Could just be the picture, but the turned lip is usually the key discriminating evidence.

John

From Marty Black

That's a gorgeous Rogers kit, but I am no expert on them. We'll have to wait for the Rogers buffs to chime in.In regards to the Ludwig snare, it does appear to be a genuine 1961-1963 COB "Super Ludwig." (predecessor to the Supraphonic.) The felt on the muffler should be red in color. There won't be a B on these early COB snares; that feature came later. The only "negative" that I can see from the photos is the wear or tarnish to the Ludwig badge.Weight should be about 3.6 kg or 8 pounds, 2 ounces.Assuming there are no dents or damage to the shell or hoops, I think $770 is a great price. I've seen them sell on the ebay and reverb websites for over $1000.Good luck with that purchase! Regards, mb

John/Levelpebble

Tama Superstar 81 Aqua bop
Rogers Cleveland BDP (x2), Silver bop, Champagne, Black/Gold Duco, WMP, Blue sparkle; Dayton Red Onyx;
Camco Oaklawn 12 14 20 5x14 Tuxedo WMP
LW 59 SC Blue Sparkle, WMP
WFL Gold Sparkle SC, WMP Compacto
Gretsch 49/50 Broadkaster WMP
Fibes Copper Forte
Remo MasterEdge Bop, Gold Crown, Mondo
Slingerland Conway Black Satin
70's MIJ Del Ray, my first and fav ok I'm lying here
Way Too Many Snares, She Says
Posted on 2 years ago

Any Covington-built Rogers kit is worth acquiring, if you ask me. That kit in the USA would sell reasonably quickly if priced at $1300-$1400. Any more it will sit for a bit. I have no idea of the market in your area.

Proceed.

John/Levelpebble

Tama Superstar 81 Aqua bop
Rogers Cleveland BDP (x2), Silver bop, Champagne, Black/Gold Duco, WMP, Blue sparkle; Dayton Red Onyx;
Camco Oaklawn 12 14 20 5x14 Tuxedo WMP
LW 59 SC Blue Sparkle, WMP
WFL Gold Sparkle SC, WMP Compacto
Gretsch 49/50 Broadkaster WMP
Fibes Copper Forte
Remo MasterEdge Bop, Gold Crown, Mondo
Slingerland Conway Black Satin
70's MIJ Del Ray, my first and fav ok I'm lying here
Way Too Many Snares, She Says
Posted on 2 years ago

I think the price on the 3-piece Rogers is fair if the condition turns out to be very good or better. In part, that is because it includes the complete cymbal arm. That set was originally cataloged as the Buddy Rich Headliner. Very popular and used on many 60’s era recording sessions in the US. As you probably know, the 8x12 is hung on the wrong side and the arm is inserted with the wrong ends in the tom and bass drums. The link in the upper right-hand corner of the webpage (Vintage Drum Guide) will lead to a 67-68 catalog where you will see the kit illustrated in WMP.

Posted on 2 years ago

Re: the COB snare, the red felt "baseball bat" muffler (P-4067) was used on COB snares beginning in 1961. I own several. The construction of the bottom (COB) hoop dates it to no later than 1964. The crimped snare bed continued for a short while when the aluminum shells (Supraphonic) started. I've got one of them.

While I agree that the photo does not clearly show the presence (or absence) of the "turned lip" (the fold back) of the bearing edge flange, the weight of the drum will be the determining factor.

Regards, mb

Posted on 2 years ago

Thank you guys

I will try to get better pics of snare with hoop removed. Baseball but felt is red according to seller description

Dule

Posted on 2 years ago

PS - I cannot be sure, but the top hoop of the 8x12 may not be original. It looks different than the one on the bottom and the flare at the tension rod seat looks wide. Rogers hoops were made with a good deal of precision, perhaps only better with Gretsch cast hoops. The seat for the tension rods is not very wide and the holes are square rather than oblong. They are very distinct. I would say the bottom on the 8x12 is definitely correct. I cannot see the hoops on the 16x16 well enough to judge. But it was common to loose the correct ones in the 70's when open toms had been popularized and lots of players took off a set of hoops to accomplish that goal. Correct hoops run between $50 and $100 each here in the US.

Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here