Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 123.24843%

Rogers Holiday Snare

Sooooooooo.....I've got a Rogers Holiday snare drum (Cleveland SN 18266) with Bread & Butter lugs that, shockingly, show no signs of cracks.

Unfortunately, the drum doesn't have the Rogers "tall hoops", nor the correct "clockface" strainer.

To add insult to injury, some mental midget must have installed some sort of 3-point strainer on the shell at some point because it's got three very small extra holes in the area where the strainer's located.DOH

I've been considering putting together a nice Rogers player's kit and was kicking around the idea of having the B&B lugs replaced with beavertails. From what I've read and heard, the original holes would need to be enlarged somewhat to accomodate the alternate lugs. Is this true? If so, would you consider this a minor effort or something major for a guy who's got one good eye and limited skills with power tools?Cooked Egg

Also, is there some definitive way that I can tell whether the wrap on this particular drum is original? I've already checked the grommet from the interior of the shell but I've noticed that the grommets on the Rogers snares don't seem to "flange back" as much as those on the Ludwigs or Slingerlands. At least the ones I've seen.

Thanks in advance for your time and your help!

Posted on 13 years ago

Gretsch snare lugs will fit.....if you bore out the holes ever so slightly......

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago

NOT that I admit doing so in the past, but a small round rat tail file will enlarge the hole to fit beavertails..... Need to file toward the shell to enlongate the holes.

But is the B&B's are not cracked, they are worth the price of the drum. Use the Gretsch like Blair says and save the shell and lugs for resale at a future date. Use the drum now and hang onto the the original holes and lugs. I think Kent lugs work as well.

Posted on 13 years ago

They used 2 different size b&b lugs depending on year made. I have 2 Holiday snares .I used Kent lugs on one but,they do not fit the other which has a wider hole spacing in which case,the generic Pearl beavertail with 2 inch on center spacing will fit.There is a blue Luxor on E Bay right now showing that lug.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here