Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Rogers Holiday Snare Drum Shell

Hi,

I'm a newbie around here and a brand new owner of a Holiday snare drum shell. I was hoping you could help date this shell. By looking various sources, I figure this a late 50's model.

It looks like someone tried to recut the bearing edges and did a bad job. I think after having troubles with the edges, they gave up and didn't even bother with the snare beds. Do you know what kind of edges and beds this model originally had?

Thanks.

3 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

As a general rule, the Eagle badge Holidays could have had either a rounded edge or a flat edge. Not a sharp edge. They would also of had deep snare beds. They probably didn't have any precision cut edges.

Could be that they were the flatter type edges and someone tried to update the drum with modern type edges.

Posted on 14 years ago

From Powertone

....Could be that they were the flatter type edges and someone tried to update the drum with modern type edges.

I think that's what happened. And in the process, it seems like some depth was lost - the shell is about 4-5/8 inches deep. I'm assuming the it was 5" before.

Thanks for the info.

Take care.

Posted on 14 years ago

Here's what mine looks like.

I believe it to be dated in the late 50s.

It's got the drawn-brass (bread & butter) lugs in the earliest configuration with no ridges. The mounting hardware (screws/washers) shown on the interior shell is obviously not original.

It's also got the 4476 Orchestra strainer, which was introduced in 1958 and was discontinued by the time of the 1960 catalog.

3 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

From OldSchool

Here's what mine looks like.I believe it to be dated in the late 50s.It's got the drawn-brass (bread & butter) lugs in the earliest configuration with no ridges. The mounting hardware (screws/washers) shown on the interior shell is obviously not original.It's also got the 4476 Orchestra strainer, which was introduced in 1958 and was discontinued by the time of the 1960 catalog.

It looks like yours and mine come from the same family (so to speak). Thanks to your pictures, I have a good idea what to look for.

Do you have a picture of the strainer? Is it the original one?

Thanks.

Posted on 14 years ago

From OldSchool

Here's what mine looks like.I believe it to be dated in the late 50s.It's got the drawn-brass (bread & butter) lugs in the earliest configuration with no ridges. The mounting hardware (screws/washers) shown on the interior shell is obviously not original.It's also got the 4476 Orchestra strainer, which was introduced in 1958 and was discontinued by the time of the 1960 catalog.

One more thing,

Do you know if those are the original edges?

Thanks.

Posted on 14 years ago

Here's a pic of the Rogers 4476 Strainer.

This is the one on my drum as well as the original one as far as I know.

As far as the edges go, I haven't modified them in any way since I purchased the drum. However, I'm NOT the original owner of this one.

BTW.........the interior shell pics I previously posted were from another Rogers shell I had. Mine actually DO have all the original mounting hardware (screws, washers, etc.) for the lugs.

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here