Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Rogers Holiday, Slingy Bd Hoops?

Is there any major difference between Rogers Holiday 18" bass drum hoops and Slingerland 18" Sound King bass drum hoops - the wooden 1-1/2" hoops with inlay groove. Circa 1960s

By comparing my Rogers 28" marching bass hoops, my Slingy 18" hoop that I have, and a few others (20" Rogers, 22" Champion) aside from inlay groove on the Champion, the basic hoops seem identical.

Niles, Illinois and Cleveland are pretty close (311 miles) - did they each make hoops in house or share a common outside manufacturer? DId I ask this question before ? LOLLoLoLoLo DOH

Any thoughts or insight are greatly appreciated.

...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 13 years ago

Slingerland made there own hoops and didn't sell to any other companies. Can't say for any other drum company.

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks for the info JJ - much appreciated - I can certainly understand a company making in house and not selling to competitors. That makes sense.

Since I've compared Rogers and Slingerland hoops - albeit in different sizes - and they seem much the same style and design-wise - I guess they are probably a result of long standing general style for bass drums : rounded outer edge for claws and a flat edge for against the flesh hoop; with mostly only variations of width and inlay groove (both groove width or no groove at all).

It seems that all of the greater variations are more recent.

I purchased a Rogers Holiday 18" hoop off eBoy, so I'll see for sure if it is distinguishable from the Slingy 18" that I already have.

Vintage 18"s seem few and far between and are often pricier. I considered an unfinished new replacement from Drum Maker, but a full d.i.y. + inlay cost was still well over $70. — I could have gotten a finished one, champ inlay included from Classic Drums in England for over $135 U.S. - oy.....

Here's hopin' the vintage Rogers hoop will be what I expect - It needs a little touch up, but ran $50 (s/h included) - I bought some vintage champagne inlay here on VDF for $15 a while back - so $65 and some elbow grease is the best deal I found.

I'll know soon enough.....

Are there any owners of both Rogers AND Slingy kits out there who have compared BD hoops?

Posted on 13 years ago

So I received my Rogers Holiday hoop a few weeks back and finally got to do a side-by-side with my Slingy Jet 18" bass drum ~ I cannot tell the difference between them, they seem identical.

I guess a hoop is a hoop as far as this vintage of Rogers & Slingerland is concerned.

Now for the "ethical" question ---- Is it a faux pas to use a Rogers Holiday hoop on a Slingerland kick, regardless of whether they are indiscernible from one another?

I know from a "purist" point of view it's probably a no-no. What says the General Wisdom of the Forum?

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here