Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Rogers Holiday Set question.

An aging friend is now in assisted living and his family is clearing out and has sold his house already. He wanted me to get the drum set before it was thrown away, which I was able to get before it started raining, it was already at the curb! It's a 1962 Holiday set in Black Onyx Pearl wrap from what I can tell. All the serial numbers are low 30,000. I've restored a lot of snare drums, but this one is missing a ton of parts along with the common cracked lug assemblies. Appears to have two original Rogers heads on bass and floor tom which is cool. I'd like to get my friend some money for the set but fear it would take to long and too much money to get back in complete condition, lots of weird little and big parts missing. Snare: missing one complete lug assembly, the back plate that holds the strainer on the clock face throw is gone, no snare wires/strainer, visual cracks in other lug assemblies. Bass: three complete lug assemblies missing and two lug screws, spur tightener for top, tom arm missing adjustment screws. Floor and small tom are just missing some lug screws. Perhaps a few more minor issues. Would it be better to just list each piece for sale individually or the whole kit in "as is" condition? Auction the best route to go or are there people here with lots of pieces parts that can help with a restoration at a reasonable cost? You're expert advice will be appreciated.

Posted on 4 years ago

Biggest question is how is the wrap? If not cracked, then worth way more then otherwise. If it need repair or replacing, then large expense. Parts are available with not too much problem All rims there and condition? Tom arm screws are easy to replace.

Lugs obviously hardest to find. Screws for them not a problem to find. Assuming 13-16-20-snare drums?

Ball park with your pictures is $500+ easily. Fully restored with original wrap should get $1000+.

Posted on 4 years ago

The wrap is on solid and no cracks, really nice. I'm cleaning the wrap and hand cleaning/polishing the chrome now to take inventory of what else needs replaced or fixed. Thanks for the help!

Posted on 4 years ago

Sent you a pm

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 4 years ago

Thanks everyone for the help. I posted a picture on a FB Rogers page and my messenger exploded. Not only did I get some great advice, but I also realized it was more work than I wanted to get into, so I sold it. Got a cash offer from someone local and he was able to pick it up. It's gone to a good home and it will be resurrected and look amazing!

Posted on 4 years ago

Hockeydude!

You probably did the right thing by selling it to someone who has the experience to deal with all the issues. I'm sure it went to a good home and the new owner, hopefully, will give it new life!

I gave new life to a Rogers Big R kit not too long ago. It was a lot of work and, while rewarding, I don't think I'd want to tackle something like that again! We all have our own comfort level in regards to restoration!

-Mark

Posted on 4 years ago
Action Another action Something else here