Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Rogers Holiday Model Restoration, Please Help!!

I've had my first drum kit for 15 years. I knew that it was an older set, but had no clue how old it was. I recently started researching and discovered that it is a 1962-3 (Black Diamond Pearl) Rogers Holiday kit. I am very interested in restoring it as much as possible. Everything looks to be original on the kit. (missing a few lugs and bottom rims-- I will acquire these.) I am finding this to be an exciting hobbie, but don't know alot about it. here is a picture of the kit:

[IMG]http://www.everyotherfate.com/rogers_drums/01-drumset.jpg[/IMG]

My first starting place is to determine if the kit is worth trying to restore with original parts. (has Bread and Butter lugs some cracked some not) I have acquired all tom/floor lugs (great shape) and am keeping them boxed in the meantime. How much do you think a set like this could be worth?

Previous owner has painted over a couple of the tags on the inside of the drums. I can faintly read through to the serial numbers and identify the drums. How does tag condition effect value?? Here is a pic:

[IMG]http://www.everyotherfate.com/rogers_drums/03-floor-tag-2096.jpg[/IMG]

Is there a way to remove the paint without damaging the tag?? I tried to remove a small section of the paint from the floor tom with a mix of water and non-acetone paint remover and slowly blotting. It worked, but made the tag mushy and part of the tag tore. (not the part indicating serial and model, thank god) I should of left it alone, but that is why i am here now:

Overall notes on condition: All drums have moderate fading on the wrap. Still pretty though. I would rewrap but don't want to lose value. Chrome generally pretty good. I think it could be cleaned up pretty easy. Minor scuffs here and there, but not really noticable.

SNARE 14 inch -- The 14 inch snare is in the best shape. Original with the kit. Tag in fair shape. Serial -- 26296. I need to replace 2 of the lugs.

TOM 13 inch --The tom does not seem to have it's tag. It looks like the ply on the inside may have been fixed at some point.

BASS 20 inch -- Serial 31805 -- Overall pretty good shape. Tag painted over. A small 1 x 4 inch section of wrap on bottom edge of the drum has peeled off. How does this effect value?? Can it be fixed somehow or is it better left alone??

[IMG]http://www.everyotherfate.com/rogers_drums/08-bass-rip.jpg[/IMG]

FLOOR TOM 16 -- Serial 26441. This drum has a couple of issues with the bottom edge ply. It has a crack in the wood on the edge. 5x1inch. It also had minor seeming splitting (fraction of an inch) on one side. Can this be fixed without altering the drum too much? I am not too worried about the interior paint since 2 of the tags have been painted over before. I could possibly re-glue the cracked part and fill, sand, re-paint.

[IMG]http://www.everyotherfate.com/rogers_drums/04-floor-tom-crack-2098.jpg[/IMG]

Any help you could give me would be sooo much appreciated. I have got the itch, but really don't know much about how fix it without losing value.

Thanks -- Brandon

Posted on 17 years ago

All I can say is you have lots of work to do!

My wife swears that Goo Gone will do the trick without killing the badge. i don't know. If you try this I would try a small test area and see what happens.

Re-wrapping is available, I highly recommend these guys, http://www.precisiondrum.com/html/wrap.html

Check out, in case you don't know already, for hardware, Al Drew's Music for real Rogers replacement parts. He bought their inventory when Rogers closed up.

Telephone: 401-722-8707

I am sure you know EBay, and be careful, know your pricing w/ thieves galore.

Hope this helps.

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi and congrats on owning the best drums ever made.. :) you do have your work cut out but they are well worth it .it seems there is a diasease out there now called gut and rob old rogers sets it is a epidemic..there are lots of parts on ebay but like you have already been told be carefull and do your home work ,get the Rogers book by Cook it will help alot abd repro Bread and butter lugs made out of steel from JP2 creations google them.. take your time have fun..

Posted on 17 years ago

my advice is do not re-wrap. You can probablly get that wrap looking great again with a little elbow grease.

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 17 years ago

Welcome to the best drums in the world! Don't rush the restoration, looks like a great kit.

1. If you want to hold value as collectible, don't rewrap.

2. Don't use steel wool on the chrome - it will leave minute scratches. Good automotive chrome cleaner will work wonders. Soaking in Regular Coke will work wonders with chrome. Just don't leave it in overnight. Soft toothbrush cleans crevices well.

3. Looks like missing rims, make sure you replace with same era - tall hoops vs regular height may be an issue, I am not familiar enough with the era to know myself. If bottom snare rim is missing, that is a rare bird to find.

4. These are Bread and Butter lugs. They crack over time. Inspect them all carefully. JP2Creations.com has replacements, but ebay does as well. Just ask questions and be careful. Google up vintage drum parts for others with original pieces.

5. rogersdrums.com has catalogs and parts lists for research.

Good luck and post some pictures from time to time. Most of us are interested in the in-between pictures as well and end shots.

Posted on 17 years ago

thanks for your response. I just went to the hardware store this weekend and bought the materials to get started. i'll keep posting as the drums come together. If anybody else has any ideas that could help please reply!!

brandon

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

Welcome to the best drums in the world! Don't rush the restoration, looks like a great kit.1. If you want to hold value as collectible, don't rewrap.2. Don't use steel wool on the chrome - it will leave minute scratches. Good automotive chrome cleaner will work wonders. Soaking in Regular Coke will work wonders with chrome. Just don't leave it in overnight. Soft toothbrush cleans crevices well.3. Looks like missing rims, make sure you replace with same era - tall hoops vs regular height may be an issue, I am not familiar enough with the era to know myself. If bottom snare rim is missing, that is a rare bird to find.4. These are Bread and Butter lugs. They crack over time. Inspect them all carefully. JP2Creations.com has replacements, but ebay does as well. Just ask questions and be careful. Google up vintage drum parts for others with original pieces.5. rogersdrums.com has catalogs and parts lists for research.Good luck and post some pictures from time to time. Most of us are interested in the in-between pictures as well and end shots.

I agree, don't rewrap and whatever you do, don't use those steel repro B&B lugs. They will reduce the value. This is a real nice set and should clean up nicely. I have a 64 set with B&B's and they all have cracks but not once have I had a failure with them. Be careful not to overtension the drums, snare especially, and they should be OK.

Restoring is a lot of work but a lot of fun and very rewarding. I'm restoring a set of natural maple XP8's right now and it takes a lot patience. In fact, that's the most important tool on a restoration.

Good luck, have fun, JackYes Sir

PS I noticed that on the bass drum the tom mount arm is where the cymbal mount arm should be. Are you playing left handed?

http://Rogers Owners Forum
Posted on 17 years ago

thanks for the info.

When I used to play on the set, I had it set up right handed. I recently moved and put the cymbal mount on the tom holder without thinking. Not a lefty. Just in a hurry.

I have question maybe you could help me out with. I recently bought some bowtie claws and T rods for the bass drum. After receiving them i notice that they are exactly identical to the others I already have -EXCEPT- the bottom cylindrical tube that connects to the tension rod has a little curve inward to it. Do you happen to know if this is from a different era of rogers? I can post a pic later when I get home.

brandon

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

thanks for the info.When I used to play on the set, I had it set up right handed. I recently moved and put the cymbal mount on the tom holder without thinking. Not a lefty. Just in a hurry.I have question maybe you could help me out with. I recently bought some bowtie claws and T rods for the bass drum. After receiving them i notice that they are exactly identical to the others I already have -EXCEPT- the bottom cylindrical tube that connects to the tension rod has a little curve inward to it. Do you happen to know if this is from a different era of rogers? I can post a pic later when I get home. brandon

Help

I might be able to tell with a picture. If not I know a Rogers expert who will probably know.

Jack

http://Rogers Owners Forum
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here