Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Rogers Holiday bass drum spur mount/collet question

One of my bass drum spur mounts doesn't actually grip the spur. I've removed the collet, cleaned & WD40d it (several times actually). It still 'works' - the drum doesn't move - but the spur falls out when I pick up the drum. Is this fixable, or would it require replacement of the mount itself?

Posted on 10 years ago

Switch the spurs to check and see if it is the spur or the mount. You can also try the spur in another mount (tom maybe) and try a tom arm in the bd mount. This should help figure out if the problem is a worn mount or worn spur,

Posted on 10 years ago

I had a forum member tell me it was because the collets have cracks. Do you see little cracks at the end of them where they would grip the spur when tightened? Even when I what I think is overtightening my spur mounts they barely grip. My collets have little cracks all around the ends. Tom mount is the same way. I put my tom on a snare stand. I found some round steel rings with hex screws in them at ACE Hardware that fit the spurs perfect. Like memory locks. I think you can replace the hex screws with the small DW tension rod type screws too. I just set mine and left them. Works fine. At least the spurs won't slip back in the drum.

1 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

Yup..most likely yr Roger's is a Fullerton made kit..

1970 and up...

9 times out of 10 it is the nose of the collet that has lots of lil hairline cracks that keep it from tightening...

Easiest thing to do..is to buy some of the older machined models...

Otherwise what you did will wrk..

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.
40s/60s era.
Posted on 10 years ago

From RIMS n SKINS

Yup..most likely yr Roger's is a Fullerton made kit..1970 and up...9 times out of 10 it is the nose of the collet that has lots of lil hairline cracks that keep it from tightening...Easiest thing to do..is to buy some of the older machined models...Otherwise what you did will wrk..

Yes, use the earlier steel collet noses, these have the 'Pat Pend' mark on them. Or, get some of the steel reproductions for less money - look the same, work the same.

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here