Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Rogers Help Needed

I've been looking at some vintage (early-mid 60s) Rogers' floor toms and noticed that on a couple of them that I've seen there were four 1/8" holes drilled on the lower portion of the shell above one of the floor tom leg mounts.

The holes are drilled in a pattern similar to a rack tom "diamond plate." I've attached a pic of a drum with these.

Anyone out there know what the intended purpose was for these and whether they were factory-drilled? I've been told that some early 60s Rogers floor toms had cowbell mounts installed on them. Could this be what these were for?

Also, if I purchased a floor tom with these holes would it be possible to find whatever hardware they were intended to mount?

As usual, THANKS in advance for your help!

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

In "The Rogers Book" (Rob Cook, p. 158) they show a "SHOWCASE" outfit 1960-1962 with a ton of stuff hanging on the floor tom and advertise the ability to convert your drum set in to a cocktail drum by hanging the snare, two cymbals, a cowbell and a mounted tom on the 16" floor tom using multiple factory installed swivo mounts. However is shows only Swiv-o-matic hardware... no diamond plates.

Here's an ugly knobby.. does the pattern look right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROGERS-FLOOR-TOM-MOUNT-KNOBBY_W0QQitemZ190265430853QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDrum_Percussion_Accessories?hash=item190265430853&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Certainly not an answer to your question... but clearly they were not averse to the concept of factory installing "extra" mounting hardware on the floor toms.

Nice color on that drum!

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

Looks like the hole pattern for a standard knobby mount. Fairly common for a Rogers floor tom, especially from the B&B era.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 15 years ago

OldSchool!...

Jim and mlvibes are BOTH correct in this case... although ... more often than not, it was the drummer/owner of the drum that would add mounts after the fact. Regardless, that is indeed the standard Rogers Knobby bolt pattern, thus...

You could of course add a Knobby... do nothing... or fill the holes with screwhead/bolts while looking for the kind of elusive, but certainly still out there, Rogers chrome cover plate that was made available to cover extra holes/Knobby mounts that were no longer in use. These add a nice finishing touch, and are of course also correct. I have seen them come up on eBay now and again.

Tommyp

Posted on 15 years ago

Jim/mlvibes/Tommyp:

THANK YOU all for your input. You guys NEVER let me down. I appreciate the information that you've all provided.

Tommyp: I've just sent you a PM.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here