Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

Rogers head recommendations

Hey guys, I have a 1972 Rogers kit with a 24x14 bass that needs new heads front and rear. Any recommendations as to which heads sound good on this drum? I'm playing in a bluesy sounding band at the moment and am looking for something to help get the right sound. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Chris

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]If you like a very percussive, hard attack with little or no ring, try an Aquarian Super Kick II.

If, on the other hand, you like the bass sound to have some "boing" to it, then I usually go with something like a Remo Emperor Coated or a Remo Powerstroke 3 Coated...sometimes adding a little piece of cross-felt to deaden it just a bit.

A '72 shell is a thin, 3-ply, so it is automatically gonna be very resonant and woody sounding. So, oftentimes, you wanna go for a head which gives a punchy attack and a quick decay, which is why the suggestions above.

Now, the Super Kick may be too "thunky" for your liking...but in a blues scenario where you really need the bass to pop, it works well.

All 3 do, actually....

For the res side...you could go with a coated white Ambassador or Aquarian...with vent hole or without.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the input, I'm going for the more "thunky" sound.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here