Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

ROGERS fl./tom lugs needed. Help

I just picked up a Rogers Holiday 20'' Bass, 16'' F/Tom, and a 14'' Luxor Snare drum. I need some Lugs for the floor tom and I'm not familiar with Rogers and don't know what type of lugs they are so I took a pic. I need 4 lugs right now and maybe more later. I'm looking to buy outright or will trade. I have some Slingerland Lugs, and other parts availible. Thanks for looking. Keep on Pl

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="Purple"]Hi. Congrats on the purchase.

Now...here is the deal...those are called Bread and Butter lugs (B&B for short). Rogers stopped using 'em in the early '60's I think. They were not a great lug design, and when plastic heads started displacing the softer calfskin heads around then, these lugs couldn't withstand the higher tension which plastic (Remo) heads required. So they'd crack. Often. So Rogers came up with their Beavertail lug design and discontinued 'em.

It is funny you posted this today...I am about to finish up replacing a whole set of B & B's....just rec'd the parts yesterday.

1) Take a close look at the lugs, especially at the corners of the lug casings, near the top and bottom ends. is there any small hairline cracking ? if so...it's typical. if not, you are fortunate.

2) You really have 3 choices....none of them being outstanding choices:

a. You can try to find original vintage ones on eBay, but the ones which show up there (uncracked and in decent shape) get quite expensive (i.e. about $15/each). And then you will have original B&B's which, while intact, still have the problem of being prone to cracking. In this instance you would need to reinforce them on the inside. There are 2 methods for doing this, both of which are time-consuming.

b. JP2Creations (Jim Petty) is the only purveyor of reproduction B & B lugs. They look very, very good, a near-perfect copy...and are much stronger and capable of handling today's head tensions. The downside is, they are $25/ea (just for the casings, not incl. springs and inserts) and he takes a very long time to turn them around. A very long time.

c. Since it is a Rogers, throughout time a lot of Rogers owners have switched out these original B & B's for the later Rogers Beavertails...which are very very sturdy. The only issue becomes that (don't ask me why, but) the HOLE SPACING on B'tails is larger than on B & B's...so you would have to elongate the holes with a file just a bit in order to put on the B'tails. A lot of people have done this...as B'tails are superior lugs and they go relatively cheaply second-hand $6-7/ea.

Some heavy Rogers vintage-heads would say 'tsk, tsk' to this last option because now the drum is no longer "factory" and therefore loses it's vintage "value" significantly...

BUT...let's be real, here. It is the most practical solution, and most cost-effective, and is still true to the parts being Rogers.

So.....there you have it. ;)[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks Jaye, for all the info. You gave me alot to think about. I'll have to descide whether to spend the money to restore or sell as is. UMMM.... What to do.. ?? Mind Blowi

Posted on 15 years ago

One suggestion (just a thought): if you intended on using it as a playing kit, you can remove all of the B & B lugs, set aside the ones with NO CRACKS, and sell them on eBay and make a very good penny.

Use the proceeds to then buy Beavertail lugs (for well less than half the price of the undamaged B & B's) and install the Beavertails on your shells. Find a 12 or 13 inch Rogers rack tom on eBay (relatively easy to find) and you have yourself a kit.

Seriously, if you list the undamaged B & B lugs, you can pretty much set them at a "buy it now" price of $15/ea and they will be gone w/i a couple of days, for sure.

Posted on 15 years ago

I can trade you beavertailed lugs for the ones that are on the drums. Ill give you 2 beavertails for every one bread and butter that is not cracked. Check with your fingernail, especially in the corners as your eyes will not be able to see them. Or if you want to sell them or trade ect my email is

[email]Records_4u@yahoo.com[/email] I have 40 beavertails avail. I also have other parts too!

*** I BUY ROGERS DRUMS ***
Posted on 15 years ago

I noticed that the lugs on the Bass drum are not the same as the floor tom lugs. There is 1 b&b lug on the bass that matches the b&b's on the F/Tom. All the other ones look similar to Slingy's but bigger. What type of bass drum lugs are original from the factory. The tag inside the drums are: Holiday model, with the border, Cleveland, Ohio.

Posted on 15 years ago

I need Luxor snare drum lugs! I am restoring an early 1960s Rogers kit and I need to replace some of the lugs on the snare drum. If anyone has any info or is willing to sell me the lugs please contact me. Thank you.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here