Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Rogers Dynasonic with Joe Thompson sig

HI Gang,

I'm new here and hope you can help me.

I received a metal Rogers Dynasonic snare drum from my father who received it as a gift from Joe Thompson when we lived in Covington Ohio.. There is an inscription on the rim that says: "To Don Canedy who I hold in highest esteem" and signed by Joe.

The drum has been in my dads garage for a very liong time and has some pitting on the chrome. Otherwise its in good shape. Sounds great!

What is the best way for me to clean up this drum without hurting it?

tia,

Todd Canedy

I grew up watching four great men design and build great drums. Joe Thompson, Don Canedy, Roy Burns, Ben Strauss. - Rogers Drums- Thank you!
Posted on 15 years ago

Nice drum, post some pics.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 15 years ago

From The Ploughman

Nice drum, post some pics.

How do you post pictures here?

Can I do it from my iPhone?

tia,

Todd

I grew up watching four great men design and build great drums. Joe Thompson, Don Canedy, Roy Burns, Ben Strauss. - Rogers Drums- Thank you!
Posted on 15 years ago

Here is a section on how to do it. If you can create a post then you can probably add photos from your iPhone.

Click here

David

Posted on 15 years ago

Todd, Very cool indeed! Been gathering info and Thompson designed products for a Rogers book on the early years due out next year. If you need help posting pics I can help if needed. My email is fltgrycleav@yahoo

Thanks for sharing this Dyna with JT sig! Looking forward to the pictures. Peace, Gary

1 attachments
120.4 kB
Posted on 15 years ago

Todd, Here is a shot from 1968 that another local OH friend shared...look familiar?

And to answer the first question: Nothing abrasive like the finest 0000 steel wool. Even some liquid car wax has some grit in the mix. Metal polish like Noxxon or plain soap/water should give it a fine dust off wipe down. Peace, Gary

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

From Gary N

Todd, Here is a shot from 1968 that another local OH friend shared...look familiar? And to answer the first question: Nothing abrasive like the finest 0000 steel wool. Even some liquid car wax has some grit in the mix. Metal polish like Noxxon or plain soap/water should give it a fine dust off wipe down. Peace, Gary

Gary,

yes I know this picture...my Dad. I don't know who the student is. Thanks for sharing. I saw your picture of the Joe Thompson recorders etc. I have his Rogers clarinet too. Mint condition.

Thanx for the cleaning tip.

BTW: I'm very curious what happened to the malletron Rogers made. It was an awesome mallet instrument. Somehow the prototypes disappeared. Do you have any information about this?

Most of all I want my Rogers marine pearl set back. Somebody in Covington has it I think. I'm devastated.

Posted on 15 years ago

From Gary N

Todd, The Rogers Rob Cook book makes reference to Remo Belli trying to problem solve on the malletron. Did he have the prototypes for further experimentation? Who holds his gear? Was wondering about some late 1940s Joe Thompson designs. Your father might be able to help me with some thoughts I have on some Joe Thompson designs for musical instruments from then or the early 1950s. Please contact me via email if I can ask some questions to Rogers royalty that were part of the scene for the greatest drums that ever will be-Rogers. Yes I will need an editor. Almost finished digging in the NJ archives for info on the NJ Rogers side of the story. Off to OH soon to finish the rest of the story. Been looking for Rogers for many years. Never saw one of those Malletron around. Was there a patent for it? Found the patents for the satellite snare and tympani designs. Attached from the 1970 catalog. Thanks for sharing whats in your head. There is a great pic/info of the building here by John C. CA Rogers: Peace, Gary

What he said.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks Ploughman.

The link I provided was against forum policy and I didn't know. These are the attached 1970s scans mentioned from the deleted post:

3 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here