Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Rogers Dynasonic Frame

Hi everybody! I was hoping for someone to help me about one thing. I bought a Rogers Dynasonic COB snare on eBay without the original frame and snare wire.

I've tried it on some rehearsals and it's kind of bright, has a little low attack frequencies but not really any tone. Sounds empty like a cupboard. And I've tuned it in any possible way. I want it to have some bottom and punch at the same time.

Now to the question:

I know the frame is what the snare is all about, but I just wonder how much will it help me getting the sound that I want from the snare? And how important is it that I get a Puresound Dynasonic snare wire? I've seen the frames on eBay go for like $80 or so and the Puresound wires for about $50. Will those parts dramatically change the sound and tone of my snare?

Really greatful for quick answers!

Posted on 17 years ago

Hey ach!

The sound you are looking for from your COB Dynasonic as you have described it... "some bottom and punch", isn't really where this particular snare drum functions, and especially in the case of the COB model. The snare frame/snares are certainly a MAJOR PART of what makes the Dynasonic a Dynasonic, but...

In this case, I don't think you will get the sound you are after even with the frame/snares. The Dynasonic is a very bright and articulate drum, and that is the arena it functions best in. That isn't to say that you couldn't use this drum for different styles of playing/music, but the COB shell is ALWAYS going to be very crystaline and bright sounding with exceptional sensitivity. It can be tensioned very low with regard to the batter head to get more "depth", but then it will buzz and rattle and sound like a complete pile of crap. So,

Will the frame/snares alter the sound of your Dynasonic? YES! Absolutely! But not in the area I think you want to be in. Here are a couple of options:

I own two wood Dynasonics, a '66 and a '67, I also own two COB Dynasonics, a '64 and a '65... so ... A WOOD Dynasonic will give you a lot more of the depth/warmth that you seek based on the shell material... but! ... these can be very expensive. I think you might want to consider the...

Rogers SuperTen. This drum was Rogers answer to the Ludwig Supraphonic 400, and it was a fine asnwer at that. I also have a SuperTen and have noticed that this particular drum is for all intents and purposes, a Dynasonic with a different shell make up... ( steel ) ... and no snare frame to fool with. It's tuning range is unbelieveable in that one can tune it real low and honky with a lot of depth, or crank it up and play Ska/Reggae at the other extreme, and all without choking. The SuperTen can be picked up pretty cheaply too... they never seem to command much in the way of price, as a lot of guys never paid much attention to them, which is a good thing!

Hope this was of some help to you!

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

Ive played a COB dynasonic since 1979, it will always be a bright drum, with lots of presence.

I have 3 maple dynasonics from the late 70s, early 80s reissue, and the sound I get is more like what you describe. These are high quality drums that are very underated in the collector market. But I think.........and see.. sale prices moving upwards with them.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 17 years ago

Hey ach...

For the cost, or less!, then a NEW Dynasonic snare frame/PureSounds, you could conceivably pick up this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/73-ROGERS-Super-Ten-SNARE-DRUM-superten-2911-script_W0QQitemZ200030915535QQihZ010QQcategoryZ38095QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is the Rogers SuperTen, and it's the '73 script badge model ( same as mine ) which is the desirable one. In a METAL shell, this drum will deliver across the board and supply the sound that you seek with a lot of "cut" and "power" to boot... or ... played lightly it also speaks effortlessly in a very nice area.

The Ploughman has mentioned the later wood Dynasonic's... ( XP-8 series, all maple ) ... and those would be a nice way to go in a wood model, but again, the SuperTen will cover most all the bases and then some, for much less money. If satisfied, you could then sell your COB Dynasonic... or keep it, and keep an eye out for the parts you need as they do come up with relative frequency on eBay.

I must add that I gig 99.9% of the time on Rogers drums, and my main gigging snare is my 1967 WMP wood Dynasonic. It does it all! My backup snare, which I bring to all my gigs, is a Rogers SuperTen!

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

Ok, fantastic answers!! Thanks alot. I'll be keeping an eye out for the SuperTen then, sounds like it would fit me well!

Again, thanks for your (quick) answers!

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here