Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Rogers Dyna-Sonic Question from New Guy

Hello, This is my first time on a forum of any kind although I have visited vintagesnaredrums many times. The information here is amazing. The Slingerland articles by Dr. C.J. Wenk are priceless. Huge thanks to all who contribute and maintain this awesome site.

I recently purchased an early 1970's 6.5" Dyna Sonic and noticed four small holes under the hoops. One above and below the strainer and the same for the butt side. I found a photo of another with the same and they look factory. Was wondering what these are for and if all years have them? I will try to post a picture if necessary but hopefully this is an easy question for the Rogers Guys. Apologies if this has already been discussed. Thanks a lot,

Small Bang

Posted on 16 years ago

This is a puzzle that the Rogers guys have been discussing for a couple of weeks now and no one has come up with a definative answer. We think the holes might be for holding the drum during plating. We're going to go to our new guru, John Cermenaro, and see if he has any answer.

Jack

:)

http://Rogers Owners Forum
Posted on 16 years ago

They are on all the COB drums I think. Ill have to check my powertones.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 16 years ago

I have a Dyna from the early 70,s...It has no extra holes...

Stix

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

I have a Dyna from the early 70,s...It has no extra holes...Stix

It has these holes.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 16 years ago

Have a couple of Dayton Powertone COB with the holes.

Posted on 16 years ago

The holes were likely used to hold the drum during the electroplating process. I'm fairly certain the shells were plated and then drilled for lugs, throwoffs, etc. afterwards. Therefore, the shells would have to have somewhere to "hang" from as they are lowered into the electroplating baths.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

My COB Powertone has them

My wood Powertone does not.............

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Thanks O-Lugs and Jack (and for Rogers Forum Link), the idea of them being there for the plating process was the only thing I could come up with. I was just relieved that they are for certain factory and not something weird a previous owner decided to do.

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

It has these holes.

Oops!!! Wasn't paying attention..."Under" the hoops....right!!! There they are

Thanks

Stix

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here