Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Rogers crack repair

If this has been discussed before point me in the right direction. I have two Rogers Powertone tag bass drums in Blue Strata Pearl that I am looking for toms to complete the kit. A fellow forumite has some toms but they have cracks running with the pattern in the Blue Strata. He seemed to think there was a thread here that explained how to repair the cracks (stop the cracking) and how to cosmetically hide the cracks. Can anybody help or point me to the correct thread that explains how to do this? Thanks a bunch.

Posted on 12 years ago

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=27170

I had just asked the same think. This guy suggested a 2 part epoxy, I found the loctite plastic epoxy did not have a "do not use on polythene" warning like other epoxy's and super glue. It is holding well on the crack but I didn't really do anything about the cosmetic end of it. I have heard some people use nail polish but I cannot confirm results on that since I haven't done it.

We all love pictures on this site, how big are these cracks?

-Mike

Mini Bio:
  • Current Teacher of MS Music Appreciation/Technology
  • Former HS Band Director & Percussion Director
  • Vic Firth Education Team Member
  • Temple University: BA Music Education
My Drums:
  • Mid/Late 70’s Slingerland Modern Solo Outfit #2R WMP (12"/13"/16"/22")
  • 1978-79 Slingerland COB Sound King with Rapid Strainer (factory order-no extra holes) 14x5
  • 2011 Alesis DM-10 E-Kit (Modified 7 Piece, 5 Cymbal Triggers)
  • 1990's Pearl Marching Snare 14"
Posted on 12 years ago

Here is a link to YouTube of Vinny's drum that he has for sale. I was wondering about the cracks before I bought it. Thanks for the info.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rsejYcXUG4[/ame]

I guess it didn't copy as a link, you will have to copy and paste it to get to it.

Posted on 12 years ago

I am trying to repair similar cracks in Rogers Steel Grey Ripple. I am going to try the 2 part epoxy method. Somebody on another thread suggested taping off the wrap around the crack, then filling in the crack, then removing the tape. After the epoxy is dry, it was suggested to use a razor blade to trim/scrape the epoxy until it close to level with the surface of the surrounding wrap, then lightly wet sanding with 600 grit and then 1500 sandpaper, before buffing with Novus. I am going to practice with the cracks that are under the hardware, before trying any visible spots. Wish me luck!

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here