Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Rogers Comet Outfit w/additional Holiday FT

Comet - Silver Glass Glitter

8x12 - Tower Tom

14x20 - Tower Bass

5x14 - Luxor Snare

(Additional) 16x16 - Holiday Floor Tom

Based on the S/N of the snare/floor tom and the shades of wrap, everything was probably purchased at the same time. The drums appear to be from mid to late 1965.

It's missing a couple of things. The tom is missing a lug (snare style), two long tension rods and the script badge. The bass drum needs a couple collets, a single tom arm and a cymbal arm (if I want to use one). The floor tom is only missing the vent hole grommet.

Someone, during the life of the drums, decided to paint the insides of some of the shells a satin grey and they painted over the tom and bass paper tags. The snare and floor tom are fine. This appears to be another floor tom built by RLS (Richard Studebaker). I'll probably get some Krylon grey primer and go over the satin paint. Has anyone ever removed paint from their paper tags? If so, what worked, because I'd like to save them.

Some of the screws and washers are rusted pretty bad. Based on a recommendation, I used Sour Salt (Citric Acid) to remove the rust on the snare drum parts. This stuff is amazing! The screws/washers/nuts look brand new now.

The lugs, hoops and Swivomatic mounts do have some slight rust/pitting, but they should clean up after a good cleaning and buffing.

There is very little difference in wrap color between the area under the missing lug and the rest of the drums too. It's a nice shade of silvery ginger ale. Since it's glass glitter, it really shines in the sun. The hoops still have their inlay and just need repainted.

Here are some before pictures. The snare is done, so I'll get some pictures tonight.

-Tim

Posted on 11 years ago

I really like..

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.
40s/60s era.
Posted on 11 years ago

Here are some after pictures of the snare. I need to spend a little more time with the rust spots on the hoops. There is some minor pitting/bubbling on the lugs, but the rest of the snare is in really good shape. If the rest of the kit cleans up the same, I'll be very happy.

-Tim

Posted on 11 years ago

Tim great job! Very cool kit and I'm sure they'll sound fantastic as well~!

Glenn.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

That was a great score, Tim! The snare came out great. Can't wait to see a shot of the kit all set-up and ready to play.

Enjoy...

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

That was a great score, Tim! The snare came out great. Can't wait to see a shot of the kit all set-up and ready to play.

Thanks, I can't wait either. ;-)

Yes, it was a great score at $87.50 a drum. Mind Blowi

Not a "collector's" grade kit, due to the repaint in a couple of shells and the condition of some of the chrome. But it's a really really really really nice borderline "player's" kit. The great thing is, none of the shells have extra holes.

I'll post more pictures as I complete each drum.

-Tim

Posted on 11 years ago

Did Rogers ever use Philips head machine screws with built-in flat washer to attach the lugs to the shells during the Cleveland era? A couple of the drums have a mixture of this style and the regular head screws. The lugs were removed by a previous owner.

If not, I'll use the regular screws to finish off as many drums as possible and then purchase stainless steel to complete the rest of the drums. I'll probably use the original screws to at least complete the Holiday Floor Tom.

-Tim

Posted on 11 years ago

Rogers never used those screws in the Cleveland era or any other. Those must have come from the hardware store,,,

Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks, DanC.

I figured they weren't original.

Based on pictures I've seen, it looks like they did use small flat washers on the lug holes closest to the re-rings. I'm just going to get similar screws and washers, unless I can source some original parts.

-Tim

Posted on 11 years ago

Small washers at the top of the lug, large washers at the bottom. The large lug washers are the same size as the smaller washers on the swivo mounts.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here