Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Rogers Bread and Butter Help

Been searching a little bit on here and on other forums/FB...not to say its not on here already but I couldn't quickly find anything on this. I came across an old Joseph Rogers Jr. & Son Broadway snare with a serial 3020 some time ago. Best I can tell, its all original. All 8 bread and butters are cracked badly. Typically I would refurbish or purchase repop lugs, throw it back together and take it on stage....but this one I gave to a friend and I am trying to help him find some repop lugs. Google shows me the cast lugs...are these any good? My friend wanted to use tube lugs...but the shell is white lacquer and has some battle scars where the B&Bs were. Tube lugs would mean he strips the shell, neither of us want that.

I have read (at length) about the repair process that basically fills the inside up with a material that strengthens and reinforces them. If that is honestly the best way...I will try it but I don't much trust myself! I am sure I will screw something up. Thank yall so much!

Posted on 2 years ago

There are several threads both here and on DFO that show the process of strengthening B&B lugs that are in sufficiently good shape using SteelStick or Polysomething. Its a cylinder of two part epoxy/harderner that you cut into slices, work together to mix, then pack in to the crevices of the lugs. Not too difficult but expect to waste a lug or two learning the process. I've done this repair several times, both snares and kits, and have another entire kit lined up to do as time allows. I would say each lug will take you at least 30 minutes time to do it correctly, so bear that in mind.

If your shell is drilled for the large, original B&Bs (flat top/coffin) or next gen, both with the wider spacing (this is pre ~1960), repair is the only way to go, as there are no replacements currently available. The final B&B's from ~61-63 are narrower center-to-center and you can use the New Rogers double-sided snare lugs as an option. All this assumes you are not willing to drill the shell, and please don't even think about it or the Rogers Karma spirits gonna come down on you hard. ;^)

Keep in mind there are shops that will do the repairs for you (Brian Kendall at Covington drum works) with a silver solder process that will look much more professional than the Steelstick techniques.

John

John/Levelpebble

Tama Superstar 81 Aqua bop
Rogers Cleveland BDP (x2), Silver bop, Champagne, Black/Gold Duco, WMP, Blue sparkle; Dayton Red Onyx;
Camco Oaklawn 12 14 20 5x14 Tuxedo WMP
LW 59 SC Blue Sparkle, WMP
WFL Gold Sparkle SC, WMP Compacto
Gretsch 49/50 Broadkaster WMP
Fibes Copper Forte
Remo MasterEdge Bop, Gold Crown, Mondo
Slingerland Conway Black Satin
70's MIJ Del Ray, my first and fav ok I'm lying here
Way Too Many Snares, She Says
Posted on 2 years ago

I have a Broadway in the other color offered for this model. Close serial number too. Do you have any pics of yours?

Posted on 2 years ago

John,

Thanks much. I have read a lot about different strengthening processes, just hoping to stay away from it because I don't have extras to experiment with. They are the flat top B&B, and I am against drilling shells. It has been in this state for at least 3 years because I refuse to drill. But...perhaps its time to re-investigate and see how ambitious I feel? I also appreciate the shout out to Brian....I may reach out to him and see what the damage would be to have these 8 repaired.

There was also a set that came up recently in town with the later style B&B that are all blown out unfortunately...and the seller is asking WAY too much in the condition. But, maybe they would appreciate getting this piece of information and look into fixing theirs? Or at least realizing there is a problem and demanding top dollar for an unplayable set isn't realistic.

Gary,

I will take a few shots and see if I can upload them here in a few.

Thanks for the replies!

Posted on 2 years ago

I think this might work?

JACKPOT!!! Anyway, behind it, next to the vistalites are the original double flange hoops. In a bag I have all the original T rods, claws, and lugs.

Posted on 2 years ago

Nice early bird from Covington OH start. Does it have the orchestra throw off? Also Do you have a pic of it and the lugs? Thanks for sharing the previous pics. Gary

Posted on 2 years ago

I will snap a shot in a bit of the throw off and lugs. Not certain of what the orchestra throw off looks like, but I will share in a bit. The lugs unfortunately need love. They are all broken...one quite badly. I reached out to Covington Drum Works via FB to see if they would repair these lugs. I read the process and while it seems easy enough I don't have parts to spare. Depending on the cost it may be worth it to me to have them done by someone that will do them right.

One thing I did learn....these springs were under some high tension in there! WOW!

Posted on 2 years ago

Aaahhhh.....here we go. Now I think its working again?

2 attachments
95.7 kB
150.1 kB
Posted on 2 years ago

That is the early Rogers OH orchestra throw off. Did your lugs have bolts sticking out instead of screws holding them to the shell? The tab holes look squarish for the head of the bolt not to spin. Stock picture. I don't have these for sale.

2 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

From Gary N

That is the early Rogers OH orchestra throw off. Did your lugs have bolts sticking out instead of screws holding them to the shell? The tab holes look squarish for the head of the bolt not to spin. Stock picture. I don't have these for sale.

Yes Sir, they do have a square tab and a shouldered bolt that slides through....nut goes on the inside of the shell. Different kind of a setup than I am used to seeing, but kinda neat.

I sent a message on Facebook to Covington Drum Works with no response about being able to fix these.

Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here