Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Rogers BOP kit

I restored a 68 Rogers BOP kit with orphan shells. a 18' x 16" TF converted to 14"x18" bass drum, a 12x8 and 15x13 FT

Everything went great till the final step 18" Maple Hoops.

Purchased a set Maple, 1.5 tall 12 ply from a reputed place. Hoops were unfinished so I cut the 1/2 slot for the inlays and painted black. When I mounted on the BD to my horror they were too big to the point that some of the claws would not slide in the hoop becasue pushed back too much.

Contacted supplier and they asked me if the Drum head was for a FT or for a BD.

To me it makes no sense. for an 18" BD the inside Diam of the hoop should be 18 1/4" or be flush with the outer edge of a drum head. ( using REMO as a standard Head) If the hoop diam is bigger than the drum head the hoop is too big. I wished i had try them on before all that work, at least I could have returned them, now instead i have to eat them unless i can figure a way to make them smaller. Any input? what the I.D. of an 18" hoop should be. I will post some picture when i get home.

Posted on 4 years ago

If you have to replace them, I would buy the old ones off of you for a project Im working on

Posted on 4 years ago

Sounds like you bought hoops that are too thick similar to a hoop on modern bass drums . They won't work with vintage claws . I bought one from DFD that is too thick for my needs on a Vintage Rogers BD because I did not pay attention to the thickness . All the hoops I have gotten from Precision BTW have been great and fit with zero issues .

Warning ... Avoid member statuscymbal here, vintage_collector on DFO , and americanpatriot10 on eBay. Email me for his name. All are the same shady guy who has burned me and a list of other members on both boards . He is also selling on Facebook too ..
Posted on 4 years ago

I have a friend who makes rope tension drums and he buys small diameter drum heads such as your 18" all the time with special larger size flesh hoops that work better as bass drum heads. He also used to buy unfinished raw hoops from the Cooperman folks. They are not glued but arrive in a curled shape and you can adjust them to fit your drum and then clamp and glue them. I have heard that this is what some drum shops use when they have to replace a non standard sized antique bass drum hoop such as the 25 and three quarters heads/hoop on old Ludwig and Ludwig drums. Maybe someone who works with rope tensioned bass drums can help you out. I'm not sure if Cooperman does this currently and if they would be willing to cut a slot for the inlay. Good luck!

Posted on 4 years ago

So you’re not using a bass drum head? Not sure exactly what the difference is but you definitely need a bass drum head to use with wood bass drum hoops. It could also have something to do with the lugs and or claws but a tom head doesn’t work.

Posted on 4 years ago

No, you have a choice in the size of the metal flesh hoop when you buy 18 inch (and 16 also I believe) for this exact reason. Some bass drums hoops will "slide" off of a drum head with a "normal" sized flesh hoop like designed for an 18" floor tom with regular metal rims. This is especially a problem with bass drum hoops that have an angled rim edge (not too common nowadays). Talk with your supplier of drum heads and explain your situation and see if they can recommend a brand and type of 18" designed with a larger than normal metal flesh hoop. The head companies make them expressly for this purpose. I am not in the marching scene but all of the drum corps and marching bands are a big market for what used to be unusual sized bass drums. This is indeed a bass drum head, but is a little special because of the wide flesh hoop and the fact it is going on a drum set instead of a marching drum.

Posted on 4 years ago
Action Another action Something else here