Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Rogers Big R Badge Help

Before I begin - this is my first post, and I thank anyone in advance for contributing.

I am just re-wrapping a Rogers kit and am having some trouble with the Big R badge. In previous re-wraps I have dealt with metal badges which have been more robust. After much messing around with a heat gun and tools I have removed the badge and now realise that it is slightly translucent. When I put it against my new silver-sparkle wrap you can see the sparkle beneath it.

I am wondering whether to spray the back of the badge with silver to give it the foil look... or could this ruin the badge somehow. Also - can anyone give me suggestions on how to apply this badge - which adhesive to use etc. I would love to hear from anyone that has dealt with these pesky badges before!!

Cheers.

Posted on 11 years ago

My guess, but maybe you should stick the badge to sized thin aluminum plate?

---------------------
In case of deal with johnnyringo:
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/show...80&postcount=1
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks, that is a good idea, I will have a look at my local hardware to see what they sell.

On another note I still have to remove two more of these badges from drums. If anyone has any suggestions on how to remove them without damaging I would love to hear. The heat gun works but the glue is so strong!

Thanks

Posted on 11 years ago

Every once and a while N.O.S. badges show up on EBAY. NOT every day, though.......

Posted on 11 years ago

From BigG

Before I begin - this is my first post, and I thank anyone in advance for contributing.I am just re-wrapping a Rogers kit and am having some trouble with the Big R badge. In previous re-wraps I have dealt with metal badges which have been more robust. After much messing around with a heat gun and tools I have removed the badge and now realise that it is slightly translucent. When I put it against my new silver-sparkle wrap you can see the sparkle beneath it.I am wondering whether to spray the back of the badge with silver to give it the foil look... or could this ruin the badge somehow. Also - can anyone give me suggestions on how to apply this badge - which adhesive to use etc. I would love to hear from anyone that has dealt with these pesky badges before!!Cheers.

I had the same problem. I glued the badge to a piece of white paper, trimmed of the excess paper and glued it to the shell, worked great.

Cam

"If we can't be free we can at least be cheap" -FZ
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks I am definitely leaning towards gluing the badge to a backing of some sort. Thanks for the suggestions.

Posted on 11 years ago

Okay so the solution I have gone with has ended up being simpler again. Rather than remove the badge from the old wrap, I have carefully cut around the badge with the old wrap attached. This means I am not damaging it in the process of removing it, and it retains its original look. Attached is a picture so that you can see the result... came out perfectly. I recommend this process for anyone restoring drums where the badge is weak or simply an adhesive as is the case with these Rodgers drums.

1 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

Nice job and great solution. Cool looking wrap too who's it from?

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks. The wrap is from Precision Drum Company NY and it is top quality stuff. It looks exactly the same as what came on my Ludwig drums (as pictured above).

The first badge I had already removed from the old wrap so I took the advice on this forum and put a backing of 0.5mm of Aluminium on it. It came out well, but I think by removing the badge from the old wrap you still risk damage.

Posted on 11 years ago

I have removed many BigR badges and re-used them.

You actually are very close to the method that works best for me.

If you take the badge still attached to the wrap behind off the drum, then heat the back of the wrap with a heat gun, the badge will come off much easier and without distortion as compared to heating the badge and pulling if off the wrap.

The main problem I found with removing a BigR badge is that the foil is very thin if you peel if off the white backing, and when you apply heat to the foil badge, it may stretch as you pull it off, and you have distortion. But when you have the badge still on the original wrap, you can heat the wrap behind the badge nice and hot to the point where the BigR badge peels off easily. To re-apply it to another drum, I used a special 3M double sided transparent tape, extremely thin, but real sticky. Once on, it will never move.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here