Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

Rogers Answer To Ludwig Downbeat?

From what I've researched, the only kit that Ludwig offered in the 60s in a

20/12/14 configuration was its Downbeat Model. It's my understanding that this kit came with a 4x14 snare drum although, sometime later, you could order the kit with a Supraphonic snare drum.

The Rogers drum company also offered a kit in the 20/12/14 configuration. I'm trying to determine whether it offered only ONE kit in this configuration, or if several models were available. Also, does anyone know the actual name of the model or models of Rogers kits in the 20/12/14 sizes from the 60s?

Did the Rogers kit (or kits) also come with a smaller snare drum, similar to what Ludwig offered?

As usual, any and all "words of wisdom" would be greatly appreciated!Help2

Posted on 15 years ago

Don't forget about the club-date.

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago

drumbum3131:

GREAT to hear from you!

The Club Date kit is unique in its own way. I've seen this kit in various configurations. I've seen bass drums ranging from 17" (can that be right?), 20" and 22", rack toms in both 12" and 13" and floor toms in 14", 15" (again....can that be right?), and 16".

When I hear the term "Club Date" I guess a specific kit configuration doesn't come to mind, as it does when I hear "Down Beat." I've still got my original Ludwig Sky Blue Pearl Kit from 1963 that came in a 22/13/16 configuration.

Actually, the floor tom that came with the kit was a Ludwig "Clasic" in lieu of the Club Date for some unknown reason. See attachment.

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

The Rogers 64 Catalogue, page 4, The Buddy Rich Celebrity Kit.... 667.50

22,13,16 with Dynasonic snare drum in choice of Brass or Wood, with the following options, deduct 10.00 for a 14x20 BD, deduct 2.50 for an 8x12 tom, deduct 8.00 for a 14x14 floor tom.

Page 5, The Buddy Rich Headliner Kit, 565.00

20,12,16, with Powertone Snare Drum in choice of brass or wood, with the option for deduct 8.00 for 14x14 floor tom, add 10.00 for 14x22 bd, add 2.50 for 9x13 tom, add 50.00 for Dynasonic in wood or brass.

Page 7, Cozy Cole Constellation kit, 575.00

22,13,16 with Powertone snare drum

deduct 8.00 for the 14x14

Same deduct option for the 14 on the Bellson Twin Bass kit, page 8 and the Bellson Citation on page 9

and so on through out the catalogue.

You could basically order any kit configuration in the available sizes as you desired.

The Rogers TOWER series was closest to the Club date.......... double ended lugs.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 15 years ago

Good Evening, Ploughman!

Always good hearing from you.

Interesting how back in the day they "deducted" $$$$ for a 14x14 in lieu of the 16x16. Certainly doesn't seem to be the case today, does it?

Getting back to the Rogers kits for a minute if I may........Since the kit I recently purchased (20/12/14) DIDN'T come with a snare drum, is there some way I can determine which model it is? All three drums are Cleveland-era Holidays, if that helps at all.

Posted on 15 years ago

Dynasonic or Powertone would be the first choices. Tower was a powertone drum with a less expensive throw off. The Luxor was a cheaper option. All used the same 3 ply, or 5 ply shell, depending on year and era.

You can download the catalogues from a number of internet sources. Just find your basic configuration...... with the Bass drum, and go from there.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="Red"]"deduct 8.00 for the 14x14"

[COLOR="DarkRed"]

Wow, how times have changed.....the 14's were actually priced less than the 16's back then ? [/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here