Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Rogers And/or Slingerland Bass Drum Claws?

While working on my early '60s 26" Rogers marching bass and organizing parts, I came to notice that my mid-'60s Slingerland kick claws & the Rogers claws are seemingly identical. Hmmmm

Did Niles, Illinois Slingerlands and Cleveland, Ohio Rogers get their bass drum claws from the same source?

After all, those cities are only 358 miles apart. Maybe a claw manufacturer in the mid-point Fort Wayne area... Or maybe out of Detroit? Not that where they were made matters (or does it?), unless Rogers & Slingy did them in house.

...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Are you sure ?...I don't think the Cleveland claws (bowtie rods) and the Slingy claws of the same vintage are exactly the same...[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Jaye - grab a coffee (long reply) Coffee Break2

Unfortunately - No, I'm not sure.

I'm a newbie to vintage drums and limited to what I experience from the drums I've acquired.

I got this 26" Rogers Yorktown from a barn back in the mid '80s, and it's sat in a closet "as is" since then. It was from a school around Levittown, PA. - Who knows what went on during its 10-15 years of use re: parts.

As for my Slingerland 18" - it sat in a church storage space 'til I got it in '04. It's missing one wood hoop, but the key rods & claws were attached. - - In both cases, neither drum had heads, but the rods & claws were 'finger tight' into the lugs for safe keeping.

As a result I can't be sure, but just kinda figured they were original.

Of all of the claws that I have from both drums (21), they're all the same except for 3 that are obvious after market replacements.

As for the other 18 total that I have, I've had 8 on the Slingy since before it and the Rogers ever met, with its others put aside in my parts box.

As I compared Rogers ones with those from the Slingy, they all seem identical. (see pics)

The only difference in any of the claws that came from both the Rogers & the Slingerland collectively is that most of them have a shaft length of 1-7/8" - with 5 or so being a 1/32nd of an inch longer - a practically invisible difference. Probably an acceptable "margin of error".

All this to say - No, I'm not sure.

I did see a picture of a Rogers Powertone 26 x 10 bass that had the same claws that I speak of -

But you're question has me searching for Slingy pics with the same claws - and, as of yet, I haven't found any for sure - Perhaps my Slingerland is atypical or someone swapped them out from the cone type, although I don't know why one would ever want to.

My Slingerlands are like the 1967 catalog "Jet" Outfit, BUT ~ my bass drum has wood hoop(s) with matching champagne inlay - not the chrome hoops. My date stamp is blurred on the last year digit - definitely not a "7" - I've sorta assumed that my kit is a '66 or '68 that had a different hoop option.

So maybe my Slingy claws are not original.

You've given me a different direction to think in, perhaps the real question is: Did Slingerland ever use this style of claw?

Posted on 15 years ago

Those are not Slingy claws from the era that your drum was made. If you go to drummaker.com you can see what reproduction Slingerland claws look like, the same as from 67 or 68. Slingerland claws had their own distinct style.

Posted on 15 years ago

From lucky

Those are not Slingy claws from the era that your drum was made. If you go to drummaker.com you can see what reproduction Slingerland claws look like, the same as from 67 or 68. Slingerland claws had their own distinct style.

Thanks Lucky - I've been searching more in regard to your & Jaye's replies (Thanks to you Both:))

I'm beginning to think that these claws are ok for Rogers 1960s basses, but the Slingy repro claws you mentioned (at Drummaker) definitely seem to be the standard for mid/late 60's Slingerlands (what I referred to as "cone type" in my last post - idk what their esoteric nick name is :confused:).

My new searches have shown me that Slingerland did use this claw in my pics (or something like it in the '40s & '50s. It makes me wonder if my drums are either earlier (last date number smudge could even be a 3), or if they are "Jets" simply ordered with wood hoops, and that the original owner chose the less "pricey" old leftover claws over the new "cones", or if Slingerland simply was clearing out the old parts bin when mine were made.

Jeepers! And I thought that this business of vintage drum manufacturing was an exact science Excited

I also have two '40s/'50s bass drums I've never touched (from my dad) that both have long TRods and these very same claws. One of them is a Champion - made by Rogers, the other has no markings.

Ouch my drum head hurts - too many new things to learnelectricit

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="Purple"]Could you post a pic of the Champion ?...just out of curiosity, I'd like to see it...[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I have a Champion bass drum and a snare. Both need to be pulled out of the closet & reassembled to varying degrees - I'll try to put the snare up asap -

In the meantime, here's a link from a fellow, Gary N, of the catalog page that has the kit.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/GaryN_photo/5727.jpg

On the page, the snare is top center "STUDENT", the kick is bottom left "STUDENT" - basically my dad's set was like the center right pic - with the cymbal & stand, etc., Haskell W. Harr book (i still use it) and a different kick pedal (the Eclipse model - on another page - 3rd from bottom on bottom right of page) - Here's the main link :

http://com2.runboard.com/brogersownersforum.f4.t2285

DANG! I wish I could just go to that old catalog & order the bits that I need at those 1950s prices - :)

Dad used skin heads - the snare still has the last ones he put on circa 1960-something. Yet another cool project - THERE WILL BE POSTS IN THE FUTURE Yes Sir

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here